Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 09:20 AM
1 Year Member
Default coolant test

Have not driven the Monte since Tuesday to work. Will stop at AutoZone on the way home from work today and get the loan-a-tool radiator coolant pressure tester.

On the 3.1 engine, how is a coolant leak associated with timing chain cover?

From what I have read the pressure tester should be pumped to the pressure on the radiator cap.

Last edited by 1996 Red/3.1 Monte; 12-05-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You timing chain cover holds your water pump. There is a coolant port in the front and back of the timing chain cover, which share the same gasket. It's an uncommon problem, but does exist.

And as for the pressure tester, just don't exceed the PSI on your rad cap (then you run risk of problems). But you can even be a hair under pressure. Just know where the pressure is when you stop pumping it. Look and listen for the problem. If you can't find any issues, then wait about 20 minutes and see if the pressure drops.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:04 AM
1 Year Member
Default leak hunt

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
You timing chain cover holds your water pump. There is a coolant port in the front and back of the timing chain cover, which share the same gasket. It's an uncommon problem, but does exist.

And as for the pressure tester, just don't exceed the PSI on your rad cap (then you run risk of problems). But you can even be a hair under pressure. Just know where the pressure is when you stop pumping it. Look and listen for the problem. If you can't find any issues, then wait about 20 minutes and see if the pressure drops.
Thanks for the quick reply Jason. Did not know about the coolant port in the front and back of the timing cover.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:42 PM
1 Year Member
Default Pressure test

Although the temp outside was 32 with rain,sleet, and freezing rain I used the Auto Zone loan-a-tool radiator/cap pressure tester today outside. A 15 lbs. pressure test was put into my 96's Monte's coolant system.

The pressure test lost down to 12-13 pounds in a few minutes. Could not hear anything, and being daytime I left it on to see how far it would go down and went back in the house where it was warm.

Checked it after dark and the no pressure on the gauge. Pumped it up to 15 lbs. again and using a mirror and flashlight I did view coolant dripping from the rear corner of the engine block which is close to the firewall. Did not see a stream, but it appears to be coming from the upper portion of the timing chain cover although not a apparent good flow of coolant.

I do not know what is involved in fixing this leak. I am going to remove the serpentine belt tension assembly tomorrow and check the torque of the bolts retaining the timing cover/water pump to the engine block.

Any suggestions?

I also had thoughts of using some Bars Leaks.

Old 12-07-2013, 12:40 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by 1996 Red/3.1 Monte
Any suggestions?

I also had thoughts of using some Bars Leaks.
Suggestion #1, do NOT use Bars Leak. The nature of that product is to clog a pin hole leak, but you run potential risks of it clogging elsewhere. And it's only meant to be temporary anyways.

Sounds like you are looking at the timing chain cover sadly (I've never done one, but looking at the shop book data, I don't suspect it's too difficult, just a bit of time).

Can you shoot me a PM with an e-mail address, I can send you some information that might help.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:34 PM
1 Year Member
Default timing chain cover/coolant gasket

Removed the serpentine tension assembly which gave me good mirror access to see the leak run down the timing cover and engine block after I installed the pressure tester for another pressure test. New gasket will fix the problem.

Did tighten just a little turn thefour bolts on this side of the timing cover. Used the pressure tester again although it had stopped at 12-13 pounds and it still leaked just a little with the 15 lbs. supplied by the pressure tester.

Pumped up the pressure tester again to 15 lbs after installing the serpentine tension assembly since it has an assemble bolt through the timing cover.

Will check it later for a leak down pressure.

Jason I sent you my e-mail address as requested.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:19 PM

10 Year Member

I have not receive a PM yet. I just sent one to you. Just reply and shoot me your e-mail address.

At least you have a visual of the leak, that's half the battle!

Old 12-08-2013, 05:23 PM
1 Year Member
Default 1996 Red/3.1 Monte again

Jason I received the information. Thank you, Jim

Last edited by 1996 Red/3.1 Monte; 12-08-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:39 PM

10 Year Member

No problem Jim!

Old 12-30-2013, 04:46 PM
1 Year Member
Default Timing cover coolant leak

The coolant leakage from the timing cover has really slowed down after tightening the four bolts on the left side of the timing cover and reinstalling the belt tensioner and making sure that it's one bolt going into the timing cover was tightened real good.
After about two weeks or so, it only took about 4 ounces of coolant to bring the coolant level in the coolant recovery tank to the cold level mark.
I am going to continue driving my 1996 Monte this winter having only a loss of 4 ounces of coolant in two weeks, it 31 degrees for a high here today and I don't like working in the cold.

Quick Reply: coolant leak