Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Opinion Needed: Coolant Help

Old 01-06-2018, 12:38 PM
1 Year Member
Default Coolant Help

Hey Everyone,
This weekend or next I’m going to be changing out my engine coolant temperature sensor. Since I’ve seen that you loose a bit of coolant in this process I was wondering what I should top it back off with. Should I get predicated or go with dex-cool and mix it 50-50 with distilled water? Also where should at top of off at? The overflow reservoir?

Thanks in advanced,
Aj

Old 01-06-2018, 01:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Originally Posted by ajay654
Hey Everyone,
This weekend or next I’m going to be changing out my engine coolant temperature sensor. Since I’ve seen that you loose a bit of coolant in this process I was wondering what I should top it back off with. Should I get predicated or go with dex-cool and mix it 50-50 with distilled water? Also where should at top of off at? The overflow reservoir?

Thanks in advanced,
Aj
Might be a good time for a flush as well, unless you have done it recently. you may need to bleed the system once you have made the repair.
You can see that procedure in several youtube videos.
Then just add the Antifreeze to the reservoir may take several to get to the correct line on the container.
Do not overfill that.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with drivernumber3. This could be a great time to flush the system. Even though Dex claims to have a 10 year life span, many of us don't believe in that and still prefer regular coolant flushes.

If you are unable to flush it or it was recently done, just top it off.
I would put mix-ed coolant direct in the radiator and then ensure the overflow bottle is filled to the appropriate line.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I agree with drivernumber3. This could be a great time to flush the system. Even though Dex claims to have a 10 year life span, many of us don't believe in that and still prefer regular coolant flushes.

If you are unable to flush it or it was recently done, just top it off.
I would put mix-ed coolant direct in the radiator and then ensure the overflow bottle is filled to the appropriate line.
X-2, I always buy concentrate and then add the distilled water. I use ZEREX coolant.

Search this Thread