Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

coolant flush

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default coolant flush

Hey all. I really need some help if somone could lend a helping hand. Im gonna do a coolant flush tonight and I need to know how. Ive never done it before and I dont want to do anything wrong, I wanna do everything exactly how its supposed to go. I have no idea where to start and where to end so if somone could PLEASE give me detailed instructions, that would be greatly appreciated.
If this is of any help, Im changing the Tstat also to one that prevents overheating, or its supposed to prevent it. So, somone please help me here, im completely in the dark at this point. All I know is that it has to be changed cause its got the dexcool in it now and its at like 130 thousand miles (around there)
So, thanks alot. And I did some searching around but couldnt really find instructions, just tips and what not. Again, thank you.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member

And whats this about bleeding the system?? I really need some help on this.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:58 AM
10 Year Member

Alright, Ive done about 4 hours of "googling" and got the idea. So, if somone could just tell me yes or no.

First, drain the radiator from teh plug at the bottom.
Second, fill with water.
Third, let run about 10 min untill t-stat opens and circulates fluid for dilution.
Fourth, repete 3rd a couple times
Fifth, fill with coolant/water mixture
Last, fill resivour to "full"
BLEEDING:
First, leave fill neck cap off and idle car with heater on squeezing hoses here and there to get air out.
Second, as air releses, keep filling radiator neck to keep full.

Is there anything I am leaving out here??

Old 05-31-2010, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member

Do you know where the drain plug is?
...anybody????

Old 06-01-2010, 12:30 AM

Can't say I'm a pro at this but remember to use the pressure release valve on the t-stat housing to 'burp' the system. You want to make sure to get out all the air because sometimes an air bubble can stop coolant from moving through the system. I do agree with the research that you have done though, squeezing the hoses and what not.
And I have heard that the drain plug is on the lower left hand side but when I did my LIM/UIM gasket I didn't see it (I didn't look too hard) and I just strategically disconnected hoses to drain it.

Last edited by Sliver; 06-01-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:36 AM

Well I can tell you what I did.:

I bought one of those back flush kits Prestone makes. It has a "T" fitting that goes in-line with your back coolant hose. This kit allows you to hook up a hose to the coolant system to flush it. As far as a drain plug your guess is as good as mine. I never found the plug and started wondering if they even put one on our radiators lol. What I did was to just pull the lower radiator hose off to drain the system, its the hose that is at the lower right passenger side part of the radiator. Be careful how you take the clip off that hose it can be tricky to get back on. Other than that the instructions on the Prestone kit are pretty straight forward. Here is a link to the kit:

http://www.prestone.com/products/fla...cessories2.swf

Old 06-01-2010, 09:07 AM
10 Year Member

Alright thanks. And yeah, I dont think there is any drain plug on it. I swear I was looking for an hour and just didnt see it?? Thanks though.