Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Info: Completed Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 10:09 PM
Default Completed Repairs

Hello everyone,
Im new to the forums but certainly not my Monte.
Just figured I'd share a list of parts that have been replaced on my 2000 3.4L, "Crazy Carl".
My best friend, Matt, and I completed these repairs.
Neither one of us are mechanics by trade.

Head gaskets (and all other applicable gaskets included in kit), Heads were taken to machine shop for cleaning and milling.

Plugs and wires

EGR valve

Thermostat

Front brake pads and rotors

Front wheel hub assemblies

Outside tie rod ends

**The last three all happened in a 7 day period.

Radiator and cap
(Side of tank ruptured)

Back brake pads and rotors
(Lack of lubrication)

Oil pressure switch
(I just changed this today. Its a $13 part and took 5 minutes to change. However, the mess it made will take 2 to 3 hours to clean off of the engine and everything else. Changing this will now be part of my tune-ups, ever other year.)

If anyone needs information about any of these repairs let me know and I'll do what I can to help.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:37 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Very nice, look at you getting your hands dirty like this. You are going to insure your car is staying in top form. Keep it up there. A lot of hard work for a non-mechanic type, pretty soon you will be rebuilding engines an going crazy with your newly acquired automotive skills.

Welcome to the forum too!! Thanks for offering to help others already, you are awesome!

Old 08-07-2017, 12:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2017

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here. Good to see another LS taking care of their vehicle.

I do have a question for you: what made you decide to change your front wheel hubs? I'm definitely planning on doing those next, so any info on them from your experience would be appreciated.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:34 PM

Thanks ZIPPY02, look forward to many good times, with my monte and these forums.

Originally Posted by 04MonteCarloLS
Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here. Good to see another LS taking care of their vehicle.

I do have a question for you: what made you decide to change your front wheel hubs? I'm definitely planning on doing those next, so any info on them from your experience would be appreciated.
I have a loud roar(sounds like huge mudding tires) coming from my front driver side. I jacked up the front wiggled the wheel and it had play in it.
Then I took the tire, caliper, pads, and rotor off. As I turned the hub it felt very gritty, almost sandy. These are all common signs of a bad bearing.
So, ill be replacing both the driver and passenger side wheel hub assemblies.
Best to replace with Timken hubs.
rockauto.com has them for about $84 a piece(I think thats what the price was).

Here is the repair guide.
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/si...ssembly-33657/

Old 09-17-2017, 12:11 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2017

Originally Posted by Shad
Thanks ZIPPY02, look forward to many good times, with my monte and these forums.

I have a loud roar(sounds like huge mudding tires) coming from my front driver side. I jacked up the front wiggled the wheel and it had play in it.
Then I took the tire, caliper, pads, and rotor off. As I turned the hub it felt very gritty, almost sandy. These are all common signs of a bad bearing.
So, ill be replacing both the driver and passenger side wheel hub assemblies.
Best to replace with Timken hubs.
rockauto.com has them for about $84 a piece(I think thats what the price was).

Here is the repair guide.
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/si...ssembly-33657/
Meant to respond here but been super busy lately.

Wanted to say, I decided to replace my front hubs with Timkens, and all I can say is WOW! What a difference! The car feels solid now while driving and doesn't fight me to drive in a straight line. Thanks for the info again.