Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

cold air induction problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 10:40 PM
Default cold air induction problems

Hi everyone i am new to this forum. i have a 06 monte ss which i recently installed a cold air induction. after installation i took the car for spin and the car randomly shuts down then restarts after 5 seconds the traction control light comes on and the door locks and unlocks! notice it when i punch it or on a rolling stop. Has anyone experienced this??

Old 10-07-2015, 06:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

A cold air intake should not have the effect. The only thoughts that come to mind:
- If you are using an oiled air filter, perhaps it had too much oil and that got passed on to the MAF sensor (not the first time for that).
- The car already had an issue creeping up and this exploited it.
- You disconnected something in the process and did not reconnect it (vac line, sensor wire, something).

If it's oil on the MAF, parts stores do sell a MAF cleaner you can try (follow the directions exactly).

Old 10-07-2015, 08:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

I have had this problem, The cold air inductions box was rubbing up against a ground wire behind the box and cutting into it shorting it out causing many electrical and stalling out problems. I took some electric tape and wrapped the breaking wire nice and thick and havn't had a problem after that.

I told cold air inductions about this problem and they blew me off saying they never heard of the problem before despite the fact i talked with 2-3 others who also had this problem.

Check your wires behind the box

Old 10-07-2015, 10:43 AM

Thank you for the quick responses I will try and remove the box again later and check for cut wires. If not I'll clean the maf thanks again.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by MnteCrloSS47
I have had this problem, The cold air inductions box was rubbing up against a ground wire behind the box and cutting into it shorting it out causing many electrical and stalling out problems.
Reading this, I believe you mentioned that to me in person once. Almost wonder if a small write -up with some handy pics about this subject would be good to add to the Tech Info section....

Old 10-07-2015, 09:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

I still have the pic for it if you wanna put it in there, def good for people to know

Old 10-08-2015, 05:16 AM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2015
10 Year Member

This thread is why this Forum is awesome.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:21 PM

Thanks mntecrloss47 that's exactly what it was. Bolt touching air box and shorting it out. Thanks again so much!!

Old 10-15-2015, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by MnteCrloSS47
I have had this problem, The cold air inductions box was rubbing up against a ground wire behind the box and cutting into it shorting it out causing many electrical and stalling out problems. I took some electric tape and wrapped the breaking wire nice and thick and havn't had a problem after that.

I told cold air inductions about this problem and they blew me off saying they never heard of the problem before despite the fact i talked with 2-3 others who also had this problem.

Check your wires behind the box
Thank you for your concern and taking the time to explain the problem to some of the forum members. I am not sure who you contacted about this matter but we have made it a know issue that is very easy to address. I have attached a file that contains the instructions for the Monte Carlo air intake system. The instruction pamphlet was updated years back when the newer body Monte and impala came out. The second page clearly states the measures you can take to totally avoid the issue all together. If anyone has any questions or concerns, you can contact Cold Air Inductions Inc. during our business hours @ (810)392-9999. Thanks!

Mark Gallop
Cold Air Inductions Inc.
(810)392-9999

Attached Files
Old 09-19-2016, 07:16 AM

Cold air inductions or k&n??? Buying one today!

Quick Reply: cold air induction problems