Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): Codes C0561, P0101, P0171

Old 01-28-2018, 01:58 PM
Default Codes C0561, P0101, P0171

I've been dealing with random "Service Traction Control" messages since getting the car a few weeks ago... FINALLY the light actually stayed on long enough for me to get to an auto parts store that had a better OBD2 reader than me. Actually the TC light and the MIL light both popped on at the same time - so when we pulled the codes we got: C0561, P0101, P0171.
The "P" codes are MAF related - I'm going to try cleaning the MAF first... how do I do that? I don't know what is safe for the sensors in there... carb cleaner? brake cleaner?
The "C" code - I'm having trouble finding info on, the guy at the shop said it could be a loose connection or ground for the TC module, but he wasn't sure either.
Any thoughts?

Old 01-28-2018, 03:10 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

MAF sensor should only be cleaned with MAF cleaner. It should be easily found at any autoparts store. Just disconnect, spray it down, let it air dry for 10 minutes, and reinstall.

The C code, wheel hubs are very common for going bad on these cars. I would check the wiring to each hub, but most likely the hub will need replacement. I just don't know which one is throwing that code for you.

Old 01-28-2018, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
MAF sensor should only be cleaned with MAF cleaner. It should be easily found at any autoparts store. Just disconnect, spray it down, let it air dry for 10 minutes, and reinstall.

The C code, wheel hubs are very common for going bad on these cars. I would check the wiring to each hub, but most likely the hub will need replacement. I just don't know which one is throwing that code for you.
Okay, thanks - I didn't know MAF cleaner was a thing.. I was about to go pull the MAF sensor, but I'll wait til I pick up some proper cleaner then.
I'll check the wheel hubs and see what I can find. I'm hoping that at 45k miles I'm not at the point of needing new ones - but anything is possible I guess... my jeep needed 4 sets of control arms by the time it hit 130k miles.Could a dealership pull a code indicating which one it is? I know on my wife's Saturn we diagnosed it ourselves by spinning the wheel and reading the resistance through the sensor - changed out the one that didn't match the others. Luckily on hers the sensors could be replaced independent of the hubs.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:04 PM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by PTAaron
Okay, thanks - I didn't know MAF cleaner was a thing.. I was about to go pull the MAF sensor, but I'll wait til I pick up some proper cleaner then.
I'll check the wheel hubs and see what I can find. I'm hoping that at 45k miles I'm not at the point of needing new ones - but anything is possible I guess... my jeep needed 4 sets of control arms by the time it hit 130k miles.Could a dealership pull a code indicating which one it is? I know on my wife's Saturn we diagnosed it ourselves by spinning the wheel and reading the resistance through the sensor - changed out the one that didn't match the others. Luckily on hers the sensors could be replaced independent of the hubs.
If you are pulling an ABS light and an ABS code, then they should be able to pull which sensor is throwing the code on you and pinpoint which hub assembly is the culprit.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:24 PM

If you are pulling an ABS light and an ABS code, then they should be able to pull which sensor is throwing the code on you and pinpoint which hub assembly is the culprit.
That’s the catch... it isn’t throwing an ABS light, just the traction control message, the dings, and the light blinks on then back off over and over and over and makes me want to disconnect the speaker for the dinger. It only stays lit occasionally, which is making it harder to track things down.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:05 PM

15 Year Member

I would start with the connectors to the hubs. Disconnect, make sure there isn't any water or moisture in them, and reconnect them and see if that helps.

If not, and it's frequent enough, a place should be able to diagnose which one. Or you can just wait until it gets worse and throws an ABS light to store a code

Old 01-29-2018, 07:01 PM

I would start with the connectors to the hubs. Disconnect, make sure there isn't any water or moisture in them, and reconnect them and see if that helps.

If not, and it's frequent enough, a place should be able to diagnose which one. Or you can just wait until it gets worse and throws an ABS light to store a code
Will start with the connectors... now that my garage is clean I can finally work on a car INSIDE again. I really wish the TC light would just stay on... the dinging whenever the message shows up is driving me nuts. To be honest I don’t want th TC system in the first place - I want my tires to spin in the snow!

Old 02-15-2018, 07:45 AM

Little update - finally had a chance to look at the MAF sensor and clean it. The big surprise was that when I went to unscrew the hose clamp I found that it wasn’t even tight! I was able to take it right off...
Sprayed the sensor down with cleaner (per the instructions) and put it back together- TIGHTENED the hose clamp... so we’ll see how the ride to work goes today.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:58 AM

Update to the update: drove to/from work yesterday with no traction control messages, no check engine lights, and smoother performance overall.

Its too early to say for sure but this appears to have been the issue the whole time.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:42 AM

15 Year Member

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you

Search this Thread