Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 02:29 PM
Default Help

So I am having this problem with my new to me 2000 Pace car edition. Its got the 3.8 engine. The symptoms I have narrowed down: I get a rapid thumping type of feeling/sound when accelerating and steering to the right. Like when accelerating on an interstate on ramp. If I let off the pedal, it stops. When exiting the interstate it is smooth, but if i gas it just a little the problem is there. I have replaced the drivers side hub/bearing thinking at first this was the problem. It was not. I do feel a little vibration under acceleration when going straight, but turn to the right and it feels like the car is going to shake apart. Going to the left does not seem to be problematic, jiust to the right. I am now thinking the cv shaft. Am I thinking in the right direction? Thanks.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by cstar65
So I am having this problem with my new to me 2000 Pace car edition. Its got the 3.8 engine. The symptoms I have narrowed down: I get a rapid thumping type of feeling/sound when accelerating and steering to the right. Like when accelerating on an interstate on ramp. If I let off the pedal, it stops. When exiting the interstate it is smooth, but if i gas it just a little the problem is there. I have replaced the drivers side hub/bearing thinking at first this was the problem. It was not. I do feel a little vibration under acceleration when going straight, but turn to the right and it feels like the car is going to shake apart. Going to the left does not seem to be problematic, jiust to the right. I am now thinking the cv shaft. Am I thinking in the right direction? Thanks.
Hello and Welcome to the MCF! Cool that you have a Pace car edition, lucky!

I would jack it up to unload the suspension and tug around on a few things, pull on the tire back / forth, in and out.

A torque converter will also shudder when under load.

LINK:

5 Steps for Diagnosing Automatic Transmission Shudder

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 02-10-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the reply. I am going to check as you suggested.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:56 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

Some one else had a similar thing a year or so back! I had suggested that it might be a broken belt in the tire.
They had thought they had checked that and ruled it out.
So the next thing you can do is put the car up on a lift or Jack stands and then fire it up, and put it in gear now you can see what the wheels are doing in motion.
This is pretty dangerous so you need to use extreme caution.
If I recall correctly they discovered it was a broken belt in the tire. I have had them with the tire all humped up in the tread.
Worth a check out for sure. Good luck!!

Old 02-13-2018, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out for sure. Since it only happens under acceleration, I dont think its a tire, but will check it anyway.

Old 02-17-2018, 01:29 PM

Well, apparently it was the cv shaft. Replaced it today and took for a test drive, and the problem is gone! Thanks for the suggestions. I also checked the cradle bolts while there, and they were tight. Hope this can help someone else.