Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Code PO442

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Default Code PO442

Well my sons 97 Monte has a problem or should I say two problems. One is the service engine light is staying on. I thought possibly the gas cap was bad so I replaced it. It staid on. So I took it to Auto Zone and had it scaned. It came back as a code PO442. Which happens to be possibly a bad or loose gas cap, evaporative system leak, or some kind of leak in the fuel system. The other problem is about the time this happened the ABS light intermitantly started coming on too. It comes on sometimes when you first start it and stays on until you drive it then turn the car off. Usually the next time you start the car the light stays off. It happens only on occasion. This car only has 57000 original miles and was a true only driven by a little old lady car until we purchased it last year. Other than that it's a beautiful car. My question is has anyone else had the experience of dealing with this code? Could the too possibly be related somehow since they both started at the same time? I did try clearing the code after the scan by disconnecting the battery. Didn't work! Just locked out the Radio which I'll figure out later.Auto Zones scanner didn't clear codes or so they said. Anyway. Anyone have similar problems or have anything to add that I should check?Thanks in advance!

Old 08-14-2009, 11:53 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

check the vacuum lines for possible damage? they may have got dry-rot if they have never been raplaced! check to see it maybe the lines are collpased or not functioning correctly! that is my best guess! vacuum lines are a big issue with older vehicles! good luck, i'm sure when the other members get back they may be more helpful! just be patient and take it one step at a time, see ya

Old 08-15-2009, 06:01 PM

So far I've checked all the vac lines under the hood. no problems there. Could not find the Evap Charcoal Canister anywhere! I think I found it though under the car back bellow the gas fill on the drivers quarter. I suspect the problem lies back there. I also could see the gas filler neck leading into the gas tank. It looks to me as though it's been wet about the first six or so inches from the tank towards the fill. I wonder if the pipe is rusted out or maybe has a bad seal down that way? I'll have to get the car up on ramps to crawl farther under to investigate!