Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Code PO141 O2 Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 06:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

except a headache ;P

Old 06-22-2011, 08:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Gotta love how these cars or becoming more sensative to the way these sensors are built.
As said, I've had success with Bosch on mid 90's 3100s and for the downstream O2 on our '05 Impala.
BUT, due to reading people having issues with Bosch, long story short, I ended up with a Delphi O2 on my Monte. What Chibi recently spent on his AC Delco O2, I kinda wish I would thought that road (as I think he paid the same price I did for a Delphi). Granted, they MIGHT be the same exact part (one might be re-branded), but at least it would have came from the OEM box.

I've had zero problems with BOSCH plug wires (usually the parts stores by me don't have AC Delco or there is a huge mark up in cost). I've stuck with AC Delco plugs for a LONG time. On the '05 Impala, I took a gamble on NGK plugs.... Funny part is, I found the factory AC Delco plugs had AC Delco stamped on the ceramic, BUTalso had NGK etched on the metal. So I don't feel so bad using the NGKs on the Impala.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:39 AM

15 Year Member

I forget the timeframe, but NGK was contracted to make the ACDelco plugs for a little while, I don't believe they still make them though.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I forget the timeframe, but NGK was contracted to make the ACDelco plugs for a little while, I don't believe they still make them though.
I figured that's why I saw the dual branding. Not the first time companies have done that stuff.

My motivator for using NGK in the first place was it's a 3400 with 150K on it, the only AC Delco list option for it was the irridium plugs. I was being cheap and stepped down to the NGK Platinums ($2-$3 a plug vs $7-$8 a plug). But I got a sweet deal on AC Delco wires for it!!
It did make me feel good to see the dual branding (almost like I was putting OEM plugs in, though they are not).
Also, I am trying to prove how little I can put into that car to ensure it runs reliably (excluding the transmission it needed).

Old 06-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Default Light went off

The light went off on it's own. I'm not sure if it was drawing moisture due to the fact it rains every day lately in the midwest. My MPG is consistant and not dropping which I have read it a symptom of a bad O2 sensor. Either way I will keep an eye out and probably go the AC delco light if it come up again.

Thanks for all the info.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:52 PM

I have a similar issue. I hooked it up to my scanner.. Innova 3060B I believe and it showed me all kinds of information. Some information I think is wrong (or I don't understand) is that it shows 0 voltage on BOTH 02 sensors. Are they on the same circuit? Are the both bad? Do they both have bad connectors? Should I replace both?

The Short term fuel trim (bank 2) is pegged at 99 and the Short term fuel trim bank 1 fluctuates as I suppose its suppose to. Any help would be appreciated.

05 Monte Carlo SS I purchased it 2 weeks ago with 42k miles on it. Clean, but obviously has sat.

Thanks,
Matt

Old 01-12-2014, 05:11 PM

There is a lot of bad information in this thread. No offense to you who posted, I know sometimes you read it's one problem and don't look it up and give all the information you know for that problem but,

The P0141 code is for the FRONT BANK O2 sensor. The one on your rear exhaust manifold. There is a problem with the heated circuit.

P0420 is the code for the REAR BANK 02 sensor. The one on your downpipe after the cat.

This code means that the heated circuit in the oxygen sensor on bank 1 decreases time needed to enter closed loop. As the O2 heater reaches operating temperature, the oxygen sensor responds by switching according to oxygen content of the exhaust surrounding it. The PCM tracks how long it takes for the oxygen sensor to begin switching. It the PCM determines (based on coolant temp) that too much time elapsed before the oxygen sensor began operating properly, it will set P0141.

You either have a short in the wiring, or an internal short on the sensor. I would replace this whole sensor.

From the dealership it's probably a $100 - $140 part (depending on their mark-up in your area). I bought mine off of Amazon last week (funny I just changed it) and it was only $43.

Amazon.com: ACDelco AFS109 Oxygen Sensor: Automotive
I had that PO141 code on my 2001 Monte Carlo SS and bought the one you recommended on Amazon (AFS109). It worked! Now 6 months later I have a PO137 which is the second oxygen sensor on Bank 1 "circuit low Bank 1 sensor". Do you have a link/part number on Amazon for this too? Thanks!

Old 04-14-2015, 07:23 AM

I know this is an older thread but I think it makes sense to post here instead of starting a new one.

I just had a code P0141 show up. I have one of those bluetooth readers. I have to disagree with a previous poster who insisted it referred to the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold. My factory manual says P0141 refers to the #2 sensor which is the one just after the CAT. My MC is a 1999 Z34.

I used my code reader to erase the code and it has stayed off for a day. I know it will probably come back, I should start soaking it down with PB Blaster to make future removal easier!

I'm at 208,000 miles and 16 years old, still a good reliable car!

Last edited by glasspilot; 04-14-2015 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 04-14-2015, 08:42 AM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by glasspilot
I have to disagree with a previous poster who insisted it referred to the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold. My factory manual says P0141 refers to the #2 sensor which is the one just after the CAT.
The P codes are generic. They assume there are 2 sensors before the cat, one on each side of the engine. The #1 sensor would be the driver side exhaust manifold and the #2 would be the passenger side.

Our engines are transversed, meaning it is rotated 90 degrees in the engine bay, that would make our #1 sensor on the exhaust manifold on the front of the engine, and the #2 sensor on the rear exhaust manifold. Since we don't have a front exhaust manifold sensor, you negate that one, but the #2 one still applies.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:11 AM

Our engines are transversed, meaning it is rotated 90 degrees in the engine bay, that would make our #1 sensor on the exhaust manifold on the front of the engine, and the #2 sensor on the rear exhaust manifold. Since we don't have a front exhaust manifold sensor, you negate that one, but the #2 one still applies.

Chibi, Thanks for the clarification! I still have this code (P0141) show up once in a while. It never affects the performance of the engine.

I hadn't seen it in months, but I started a 12 hour drive, at 4am, from NC to Upstate NY before Christmas. Pitch dark out and the check engine light decides to make an appearance! I was too impatient to use my Bluetooth code reader to extinguish the light so I got to stare at it until the sun came up! My area of NC does not have an emissions inspection (only safety) so before I go for the safety I erase the light if it's on.

(17 years old, 215,000 miles, owned since new)

Car runs fine so I'm procrastinating on this one!

Last edited by glasspilot; 01-03-2016 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Added comment

Quick Reply: Code PO141 O2 Sensor