Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

7th Gen ('06-'07): Clicking Noise Fix and Code P0172

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 02:41 PM
JCT
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Clicking Noise Fix and Code P0172

Hey guys just thought I'd share some issues I've been having and the "fixes" for them. Car has 174K on it for background.
The first one was a clicking at low speeds while making a hard left. It was weird because it wouldn't start until I drove it for 10 or so minutes. Thought it was a CV issue (boots were not ruptured) but the mechanic instead thought it was the intermediate shaft bearing so they greased that and the noise was still there. Brought it to a family friend when I got back home and turned out their was a lot of play in the passenger axle. Replaced it and no more noise.

The next one is a bit odd. The humidity coupled with the heat over the last month has been unbearable which could have been a contributing factor. The transmission would shift hard through the gears (1-2 etc.) even when putting it into drive from park. Check engine light would then go on and give P0172 which is a rich bank. I also put in some gumout right before this started. My friend back home said the ethanol content was reading around 20 percent but where I fill up it only can be a max of 10 and I haven't used E85 in years so he suggested the sensor was bad but that wouldn't explain why the other bank didn't have a code. Also cleaned the MAF but it didn't help. Well after the humidity subsiding and putting in non-oxy fuel the car is running fine and hasn't been giving me any problems since. So before you start replacing injectors and other stuff try using different fuel. My Dad had a nearly identical problem on his car after using STP injector cleaner.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good to know abou those fuel issues, thanks for sharing.

As for the CV, I might think twice about using that mechanic again. clicking at low speed in a hard left turn are classic symptoms for a bad passenger side CV axle.