Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Clicking/Knocking from steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Default Clicking/Knocking from steering wheel

Recently bought a 2001 Monte Carlo, and have noticied an interested occurance. When I accelerate from a stop or come to a stop, I feel intermittent clicking or knocking, although not really audible, it can certainly be felt. I also notice it happens if I'm going below 30 mph, let off the gas, and then press the gas back down. Any thoughts on what this might be or is this normal? Thank you!

Old 06-05-2007, 05:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008
Default RE: Clicking/Knocking from steering wheel

ORIGINAL: krowziviche

Recently bought a 2001 Monte Carlo, and have noticied an interested occurance. When I accelerate from a stop or come to a stop, I feel intermittent clicking or knocking, although not really audible, it can certainly be felt. I also notice it happens if I'm going below 30 mph, let off the gas, and then press the gas back down. Any thoughts on what this might be or is this normal? Thank you!
Hi, go up to the search function and type ISS and you will find many threads with help.

You can also click here:

https://montecarloforum.com/searchpr...bmitbutton=+OK+

Old 06-05-2007, 06:05 PM

most likely the i.s.s. shaft needs greased. you can actually get the kit from GM and if you are mechanical you can do it in your drive way in about 3 hours or so for a first timmer taking your time

Old 06-05-2007, 06:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

is it a clunking or a clicking??

Old 06-05-2007, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the replies! I guess it is more of a dull clunk, something you can feel in the steering wheel, and maybe a tiny bit in the brake/gas pedal. From the sounds of things it might be the ISS issue you guys mention. I'm not SUPER technically inclined, but relatively so. On a scale of 1-10, how hard is it to lube this thing?

Old 06-06-2007, 06:57 AM

As GPD said,there are websites with instructions.If you go to a dealer they will do it in about an hour and probably charge $75 to $100.I beleive most dealerships are pretty good at this by now since it is a common problem.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

if its not that shaft it could be ball joints...ball joints clunk

Old 06-06-2007, 02:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: krowziviche

Thanks for the replies! I guess it is more of a dull clunk, something you can feel in the steering wheel, and maybe a tiny bit in the brake/gas pedal. From the sounds of things it might be the ISS issue you guys mention. I'm not SUPER technically inclined, but relatively so. On a scale of 1-10, how hard is it to lube this thing?
See if you are capable of doing this:
http://www.colinkraft.com/shaft.php

Old 06-06-2007, 04:20 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I saw the page but doesn't list 03 Monte and I think I have the same problem. Only when I turn the wheel at low speeds I feel this knocking in the steering. It also did it on my dads 00 Boneville so I'm assuming its a GM thing because the cars were very similar.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:42 PM

It affects GM cars including Chevy,Olds,Pontiac,Buick,and full size Pickups from 2000 to present.It is mostly the full size cars,I don't think it affects compacts.

Quick Reply: Clicking/Knocking from steering wheel