Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Changed both serpentine belts today.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Changed both serpentine belts today.

I changed both of my belts today in the hope that the sqeaking noise I hear in the morning on initial startup will go away. I have the supercharged engine so it has two belts. Changing them turned out to be easier than I first thought it would be. I did have to have my fiance's son hold the belt tensioner back while I put the drive belt on. I did spin all of the pully's and alternator to see if anything made noise but didn't hear anything. The drive belt tensioner actually didn't spin but I don't know if it was supposed to. The supercharger tensioner also didn't spin but moved a little more freely. Neither one felt like something was wrong so hopefully they are still good because they are about $95 a piece at Autozone.

I did have to use my service manual for the belt routing since there is not a sticker under the hood that I could find.

I almost think that both of the belts are original and the car has 94,600 miles on it. The drive belt said GM on it with a GM number next to it. The supercharger belt said DAYCO on it but had a GM number next to it. It didn't look like the replacement Dayco belts I installed so I don't know if it was OEM or not. Both belts actually looked like they were in decent shape but did have some glazing down in the ribs and the GM belt was starting to get some real fine cracks in it if you bent it backward.

Anyway, another maintainence job done.

Wayne

Last edited by 70monte1; 09-06-2011 at 08:18 PM. Reason: added information
Old 09-06-2011, 09:06 PM

Good work, but you never said if the sound went away or not If it isn't you could always check out your coupler, that's also a relatively cheap and easy fix, either way I always get a sense of accomplishment when I fix something or even do something as small as an oil change on my car.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:04 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I didn't get the belts changed until about 6:00 pm and didn't drive the car after that. The noise is only there when the car is cold and has been sitting for awhile so it wouldn't have shown up after the repair anyway. I also like being able to do my own repairs because I don't trust very many mechanics these days.

Wayne

Old 08-18-2012, 02:33 AM

Good job man! I replaced my serpentine belts two years ago. I was a bit hesitant to do it by myself and thought of just letting an experienced mechanic handle the job. But, I wanted to try it for my own fulfillment. The low cost Serpentine belts that I still use today was from an online auto parts store, I just can't remember where.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:16 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 70monte1
I changed both of my belts today in the hope that the sqeaking noise I hear in the morning on initial startup will go away. I have the supercharged engine so it has two belts. Changing them turned out to be easier than I first thought it would be. I did have to have my fiance's son hold the belt tensioner back while I put the drive belt on. I did spin all of the pully's and alternator to see if anything made noise but didn't hear anything. The drive belt tensioner actually didn't spin but I don't know if it was supposed to. The supercharger tensioner also didn't spin but moved a little more freely. Neither one felt like something was wrong so hopefully they are still good because they are about $95 a piece at Autozone.

I did have to use my service manual for the belt routing since there is not a sticker under the hood that I could find.

I almost think that both of the belts are original and the car has 94,600 miles on it. The drive belt said GM on it with a GM number next to it. The supercharger belt said DAYCO on it but had a GM number next to it. It didn't look like the replacement Dayco belts I installed so I don't know if it was OEM or not. Both belts actually looked like they were in decent shape but did have some glazing down in the ribs and the GM belt was starting to get some real fine cracks in it if you bent it backward.

Anyway, another maintainence job done.

Wayne
An easy way to see what the "squeak" is
take a spray bottle with water in it...and spray each individual pulley bearing while its running...if the squeaking, squealing stops....then thats the the one u need to change...

Old 10-05-2012, 04:40 PM

Anybody out there ever changed serpentine belt on 02 M/C SS 3.8L?