Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): car will not start after engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 09:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Bummer, the no power from the ignition switch to the starter would be normal until you do a security relearn, but you should have dash lights and a display on the radio. The radio display would say "locked". keep us posted.

Last edited by plumbob; 10-29-2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:38 AM
10 Year Member

FYI, when I had the ground wires connected wrong the starter solenoid would crank, but not the starter motor. After correcting, nothing cranked until I did the security relearn.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member

I got my new flashed pcm from zzp installed it and so oh stuff. Not happy I hooked up the obd2 and there is no link all fuses are good I check cigarette light fuse too. NOTHING. I have done so much to this car to be stuck on a dumb problem like this.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:47 PM
10 Year Member

Ok on the driver side dash fuse panel I rechecked the fuse box and the 10A PCM (CRANK) fuse is not working. I removes the fuse it looks good i inserted the fuse light test probe and there is no power out the fuse box.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member

A little recap of where I'm at. And what's going on
2000 monte carlo ls 3.4l.
Swapped in a l67 with HD trans.
Plugged in an 04 monte carlo ss l67 engine harness.
The harness is for internal saftey switch so I rewired for external.
Car will not crank over or do I hear the fuel pump prime from the key.
I've tried the 3 different relearn methods with my original pcm with the 1st purchase zzp pcm and my 2nd zzp pcm. No luck
The fuse 10A PCM (CRANK) that had no power, gets power when I attempt to start the car with the key.
Underhood crank relay will crank the starter when energized manually.
Underhood fuel pump relay will prime the pump when energized manually.
With the key in and turned to AAC, all accessories turn on I was sitting in my car think why it's not starting listening to music from my radio.
When I turn to ON position I still have accessories but now the security light is flashing and low fuel is flashing since the pump is not on.
When I turn to start for the relearn the cluster resets the gauges, security light goes out and I receive a constant low fuel light, no crank no fuel.
I know my starter is good it's new my battery is new while I'm performing all this I have a trickle charger hooked up.
My pcm(s) are newly flashed.
All grounds have been checked multiple times
Fuel pump works, relays are working since I'm able to jump them plus I've swapped them with good know working ones.
I'm thinking it's the ignition switch itself, I don't know. I've dumped alot of money into this car it's not funny. Trans rebuilt with upgrades engine rebuilt, axles, rebuilt p/p supercharger, smaller pulley p/p lower intake, n* throttle body, zzp heads, zzp downpipe, zzp exhaust, vs cam, zzp cai, flexplate, high stall torque converter. I sure I'm missing something. I got and painted my new mpd1 hood an month ago. Almost done painting the whole car with high sport kit I pieced together over 6 months. I'm losing my mind with this car guys. February will be 2 years parked and I've dumped about 8 grand into it if not more with NO results. Thanks for any inputs on the problem. Sorry I had to vent out my fustration

Old 11-03-2015, 06:21 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by plumbob
Bummer, the no power from the ignition switch to the starter would be normal until you do a security relearn, but you should have dash lights and a display on the radio. The radio display would say "locked". keep us posted.
The radio will read "LOCKED" and fail to work if he swapped the BCM. PCM and the radio don't interact like that.
Now, I believe power still flows through the ignition switch, but if it's in "TheftLock" mode, the PCM will not allow commanding of the starter (don't quote me on that, I'm not 100%) or commanding of injectors and fuel pump.

Even with a "bricked" PCM, the car gives some responses (I've been there done that), but won't start. Such as interior/dash lights work, radio works, car will not start and you have weird messages on you message center (Like I've seen traction control/low fuel/security, any random message).

In theory, if all these problems were linked to a bad PCM, you could pop the original PCM in, attempt to start the car (I would not run the car, just see if the start cranks, nothing further).

You may need to trace your electrical circuit starting from the battery and see if all fuse blocks have power getting to them.

Electrical gremlins can be quite annoying

Old 11-03-2015, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
The radio will read "LOCKED" and fail to work if he swapped the BCM. PCM and the radio don't interact like that.
Now, I believe power still flows through the ignition switch, but if it's in "TheftLock" mode, the PCM will not allow commanding of the starter (don't quote me on that, I'm not 100%) or commanding of injectors and fuel pump.

Even with a "bricked" PCM, the car gives some responses (I've been there done that), but won't start. Such as interior/dash lights work, radio works, car will not start and you have weird messages on you message center (Like I've seen traction control/low fuel/security, any random message).

In theory, if all these problems were linked to a bad PCM, you could pop the original PCM in, attempt to start the car (I would not run the car, just see if the start cranks, nothing further).

You may need to trace your electrical circuit starting from the battery and see if all fuse blocks have power getting to them.

Electrical gremlins can be quite annoying
I agree Jason, and you're correct. But I believe the BCM will "Lock" the radio if "Retained Accessory Power" is lost. You're also correct when you say: in "Theftlock mode, "Ignition" and "Fuel Delivery" are disabled. I would also check the fusible links. One coming off the starter solenoid terminal, the other at the passenger side of the engine compartment, upper fuse center mounted on the fender well. The book says there's one at the lower fuse center also, but I've never found that.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:00 PM
10 Year Member

I've check the fuse able links already they are good plus all fuse boxes are hot. I was leaning towards the ignition but I just hit the alarm button on the key fob and it's not working now. Can't unlock or lock from key fob. I just ordered a passlock bypass module. It should be here Friday I put that in to see what will happen.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:28 PM
10 Year Member

Fingers crossed for you.

Old 11-03-2015, 09:04 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by plumbob
But I believe the BCM will "Lock" the radio if "Retained Accessory Power" is lost.
I don't think that is true, I'm fairly certain that data is stored in a re-writable flash prom. What I can say for sure, my Monte is park from October to March/April (depending on the weather of the year) with no battery or charge to it during those winter months (battery is disconnected when put in storage, and gets re-connected in the spring), never an issue with TheftLock. Radio/BCM/PCM, all work like it was running the day before.