Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

5th Gen ('95-'99): Car dies when stopped.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Question Car dies when stopped.

Hello all I've had my Monte Carlo since the beginning of September and I've been having problems with the car "choking" when stopped. The car bogs down and dies. My dad and I have changed the oil, flushed it all out, changed the coolant sensor, replaced the coolant, I've checked the battery with a multimeter to see if it was a bad batter or a bad alt and both came out fine. The battery is also 7 years old though. So now I'm stumped on why this is happening. The car has 195k miles.

Thank you all.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChevyGuy2
Hello all I've had my Monte Carlo since the beginning of September and I've been having problems with the car "choking" when stopped. The car bogs down and dies. My dad and I have changed the oil, flushed it all out, changed the coolant sensor, replaced the coolant, I've checked the battery with a multimeter to see if it was a bad batter or a bad alt and both came out fine. The battery is also 7 years old though. So now I'm stumped on why this is happening. The car has 195k miles.

Thank you all.
The Fuel filter could be bad located under the passenger side of the car about the size of a beer can careful when you remove it so you don't twist the fuel line. a boxin wrench with a slot works. Next there is a Vacuum line that goes from the engine to the fire wall area. I will attach a photo.
I am thinking though from the description it is your Catalictic converter most likely plugged. All this stuff happened on cars I have owned. The stuff you did is normal maintenance stuff, and may not make the difference you want.

where the green arrow points make sure that is plugged in.
More monte owners may have more suggestions.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0d83_12.jpg (56.9 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-06-2014, 07:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm wondering about worn out spark plugs. If they have over 100K miles on the plugs, they have been on borrowed time. Really old/worn plugs can allow the car to run but crazy stuff like stalling at a stop can be common place.

Also, if you do not know the maintenance history of this car, I suggest you read the thread I linked below (it's meant for 100K maintenance but can be worth taking a look at and some of the maintenance things left neglected could cause problems like stalling):
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...0-miles-46078/

Old 10-06-2014, 07:21 PM

Thank you for the replies. I do not know the history of the car itself and I have looked into that thread. I'll look more into it when I'm not on mobile. As far as the catalictic converter goes I don't have one. They cut it out and put a midpipe there. I will start to look into what you guys have told me this weekend hopefully that helps. It's my fiancés' car and she is afraid to even drive it because it dies randomly. Thank you very much.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:24 PM

Idle air control valve, it doesn't trigger a check engine light and when it's clogged but it kills the car when stopped unless you rev it up, also if you rev it up once while it's cold it will start bouncing the rpm, Google ways to test how to determine if the idle air control valve has failed that might be a good start, on American cars its a cheap part 30-50 on Japanese cars like Honda it costs anywhere from 150-300. review your search results with the future wife she might agree or disagree to the symptoms.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:09 AM

have you scanned for codes?

Old 10-07-2014, 06:59 AM

Thank you I will look into that. I can't scan for codes because the wires are cut for the code reader. I'm looking to address that problem here soon, it's a mess underneath the dash.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:30 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It could be anything that was mentioned or even the MAF sensor. Could be the crank sensor also.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

With those kind of miles... no idea on Maintenance
Fuel filter and or fuel pressure could be the culprit.
Change the filter (Fuel) and check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail...
May just be a failing fuel pump.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:49 PM

Thank you I will look into all of this this weekend hopefully.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen ('95-'99): Car dies when stopped.