Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Car cranks a few times before starting some times.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
i have had this problem since i got mine with the 3400 in it. I was told it is normal. I find if you give it a quick rev right before you turn the key to off, it doesnt do it the next time you start it. There was a thread a month or two ago about this where the guy found out exactly what it was. Somthing about gas staying somwhere where it shoulnt have been staying. Because, it doesnt do it after it sits off for a while like over night. Its starts right up after a longer sit right?? Maybe this guy will jump in and tell us again what it is.
your right i can definatley say it does this more after running the car for a while. In the mornings and after work i don't notice it much at all. I'm gonna try the quick rev before i cut it off and see what happens.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:40 AM

Dam!! There is somone on here that found out exactly what this was from. I was looking for about an hour last night with no luck. Like I said, Its somthing to do with gas staying somwhere its not supposed to, then after the car sits for a while the gas evaporates out of the "place its not supposed to be" and then the car starts fine.....

Old 06-12-2010, 09:22 AM

I had the same problem and it turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator. It located right in the front after you take off the cover. It's easy to replace however you will need to have a snap ring pliers to do it. The part costs about $50 at any auto parts store. Be sure to release the fuel pressure before trying to remove the regulator. Near the regulator is a pressure relief valve that looks and works just like a tire valve.Watch out for fuel squirting out when you push this however if the car sits for a while probably very little will come out. the whole job takes maybe 10 minutes to do. If you by the part first it will be easier to indentify it on the motor once you know what it looks like.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:08 AM

If you dont wanna use the fuel pressure release valve, you can start your car and then pull the relay for the fuel pump out, then let the car die. Thats what I did when I changed the fuel filter.