Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Car Caught Fire - Appears Totaled

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 09:35 PM

Wow dude. saying that i would be pissed off would be an understatement.
I really hope you're able to come out the winner SOME HOW on this one, even though losing the montei can only imagen would be tough.

good luck

Old 02-17-2010, 09:24 AM

Ouch. As soon as I saw this thread I was going to mention that recall. The only difference is though, I was notified by the former owners of the recall and not by GM. If they didn't notify you somehow I'm pretty sure it's their fault. You shouldn't have to assume your car is going to explode at any point and be expected to check recalls on a daily basis. Good luck with everything man, hope all gets resolved.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Default Cranked?

I'm assuming the car cranked but did not start. I suspect a problem like the others with fuel injection. Cars didn't burn much before fuel injection.

In the boating world water in the fuel is being blamed on E-10 fuel. I suspect it should apply to cars as well.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:17 PM

Thanks guys. Reading the recall notice online, I do not think it is related to what happened to me.

Nonetheless, I did call GM and they took information from me and said they were going to enter some sort of claim and call me back within 48 hours. Not sure what's going to happen with that. Maybe they will want the car, maybe they can help me, I dont know.

It was a crazy day, when the car caught fire. The fire was getting fuel...as this is what kept it going and going strong. Not sure if it came from fuel line or injectors, I have no idea about that stuff.

Thanks again.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:44 PM

it was from the fuel pump feeding it the fire i am glad the fire didnt follow the lines back and do some big damage to the surounding area and to you on the bright side your not injured

Old 02-17-2010, 07:44 PM

only the emotional side on what happened

Old 02-17-2010, 08:30 PM

jeez, it sounds to me like cheap gas that contained water and bursted the lines. if gm doesnt cover it, im sure your insurance company will(on a side note, do you have to pay the deductible on that?) or it could of been the battery giving off those explosive vaps. keep us updated and let us know what happens next. good luck man

Old 02-17-2010, 10:01 PM

wow. Im deeply sorry for what happened.I hope the best to you, I would be one sick pup for a long time.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:28 PM
Default 2002 monte carlo ss engine fire

I just went through the same exact thing. My ins co did pay to fix my car but I had a $1000 deductable and what a nightmare it was. what happens is the engine backfires while cranking explodes the plastic intake and gas and gas fumes ignite. my car is a 2002 yellow MONTE CARLO SS PACE CAR so I fought them tooth and nail to fix the car and not total it out. if you need my pics from my car to fight with GM JUST LET ME KNOW I had my car fixed already and knock on wood it has been fine since
there are a lot of reported cases of this happening GM Should do something for us like I said I am still out $1000 deductable my damage came to $3800 so I got $2800 after deductable but like I said car is a PACE CAR with only 74k on it and no way in hell I was gonna let them total it out. car is paid for and a limited edition pace car and we just payed off our 2005 supercharged monte ss so did not want them to total it out and have to buy another car and have the payments again
please let me know if you get anywhere with gm also if you need my info and to join against gm or also if you don`t mind give me the info where you contacted them for me to also
thanx tony

Old 02-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Default engine fire

follow this link and read the second one down and look at the pics 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo intake manifold failure | CarComplaints.com
I Have a few more links with info also

Quick Reply: Car Caught Fire - Appears Totaled