Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Can you tell if you have A/C delco pump externally?

Old 03-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Unhappy Can you tell if you have A/C delco pump externally?

Ok my 97' monte carlo 3.4L is still acting up. During the first ten min of driving it will get hot, I will pull over and release air out of the t-stat housing. It will then be fine temp wise unless I go over 60 or so and it will then do the same thing. I did try to burp my car, with the heat on, and it started to boil inside the engine. I did have it pressure tested and there were no leaks. I think when I had my pump replaced 3 years ago it might be a cheaper pump and not the ac delco pump, my question to you is can I check externally to verify this or do I have to take it off and see the fins? I am at wit's end with this car but this http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t598576.html describes my car to a T. Please please someone help me out! thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 03-16-2009, 01:59 PM

Ok, come to find out the pump is one from autozone. I gave it to them when I had them work on my car three years ago but forgot. What pump should I get to replace this? I'm almost 100% sure this is my problem....

Old 03-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

what pump are you talking about???

also keep in mind, ac delco doesn't make their own pumps anyway, its an aftermarket rebuild company that does theres anyway

ac delco doesn't make any of their own things, they're all aftermarket with their name smacked on the outside

ac plugs made by ngk
ac filters made by wix
ac calipers, clutches, powersteering pumps made by fenco
ac brakes made by raybestos
i'm not sure who makes their chassis stuff, but moog is always way better
ac belts made by dayco

i can go on more on this list too, but thats your common stuff

Last edited by wiz kidd; 03-16-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:23 PM

Didn't know that. Basically there is a cheap water pump in my car and it is acting just like the guy's 3.4L in the url I posted. I think the solution to my problem would be to get a delco that has a cast iron impeller instead of the sheet metal impellers as the guy describes. Only thing is I cant find a delco or one that will have the better fin design. Any ideas?

Old 03-16-2009, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member

ac delco's will be made in mexico now, so if you dont get a older one thats been on the shelf for a long time, chances are its going to be the same as all the other water pumps

me and my dad own an auto parts store, and aftermarket parts are generally better than the original's, i wouldn't go for a delco one, i would go to an autoparts store (not autozone, or something like that, go to something like Auto Parts Plus, Auto Plus, Napa, or Carquest) someone that sells name brand parts and get a NEW water pump, not a rebuilt, chances are its going to be made offshore, but the new parts are always good, we never have any issues with ours....

Old 03-16-2009, 07:44 PM

I have an odd question for you.Have you had the serpt belt change just as this issue started? I ask because the belt can go on wrong. I don't know how to word this. The bottom line is that the belt can go on except the water pump spins backwards. I hope you understand this.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member

oh i've seen people do that before, thats a good idea to check the belt routing