Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Camshaft Postion Sensor ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Default Camshaft Postion Sensor ?

Dear Readers,
I own a 97 monte carlo ls i am a young very young tech with a mentor i was wondering is it really hard to change a camshaft postion sensor? are they difficult your responses would be great thank you to all =)

Old 03-08-2008, 11:53 PM
Default RE: Camshaft Postion Sensor ?

get a manual form a atuo parts store so you ahv ethe specs on the car. Also it will help you get a idea of the difficulty. and the location also. (always good when needing to find parts on a car)

Why do you think you need to replace thei part?
Dose the car still start and run?
is it missing?

Old 03-09-2008, 08:32 AM

You need to remove the P/S pump to gain access to the camshaft position sensor.Once the pump is out of the way just remove the sensor retaining bolt,unplug the sensor electrical connector and remove the sensor by pulling it straight up out of the front cover.

Old 03-09-2008, 08:32 PM

its on a DTC and i found the problem through the gm scan tool =) thanks for the help and i had a book on the car and found it and bowetech is right exactly wat they say to do lol

Old 06-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Default cam sensor????

do you get the yellow check engine lite when the cam sensor goes bad? my 96 monte is shutting off while driving for no apparent reason, i changed gas,used injection cleaners......no yellow lite on or anything,it runs ok then blam...off it goes ...any ideas????

Old 08-17-2011, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by rodman
do you get the yellow check engine lite when the cam sensor goes bad? my 96 monte is shutting off while driving for no apparent reason, i changed gas,used injection cleaners......no yellow lite on or anything,it runs ok then blam...off it goes ...any ideas????
fuel pump or ignition module,

pull codes with a scantool, and put a fuel pressure test gauge on it, my 96 gave off a random/multiple missfire code, the pump was way loud you could hear it coming from down the street, so i actualy installed a pressure gauge inside the car and watched it while i was going down the road once the car missed and stalled i noticed the pressure droped to 20psi so i replaced the pump which fixed it then it happened again only would blow a fuse after, the old pump was found to be fualty but i also found the wiring harness for the pump that comes up threw the floor of the trunk had been chaffed/stripped from pulling on the harness too hard underneither and were grounding out when i would hit a big enough bump, fixed it with a quick cut, solder, and shrink wraping

the ignition module is attached to the bottom of your coil packs and might be able to be tested by an auto store but its cheap enough and an important enough part that i replaced it anyway, it didnt change my problem so i started diagnosing the pump, the new module did perk her up a little, haynes does have a procedure for testing it with a DVOM and a test light

just a few things to get your wheels turning

Last edited by 3.4Dually; 08-17-2011 at 09:39 PM.