Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Cabin odor

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 08:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Cabin odor

So I bought my current project, a 2000 SS with a leaking heater core and the old leaking cabin air filter-water deflector leak. The previous owner let it sit that way for who knows how long which left an odor of month old laundry in the cabin. I've fixed the leaks and ready to tackle the smell, but thought I'd get some opinions on best methods and products to clean the A/C evaporator, HVAC box and ducts. The smell goes away in about 5 seconds after turning on the air, but until then it reeks
I know the carpet got saturated with coolant and needs to be replaced. I've tried every product under the sun to get the smell out of it, but I've come to the conclusion that the carpet isn't where the smell is coming from.
I know of the Lysol duct saturation, and evaporator drain removal and treatment with evaporator cleaner through the drain hole which I've done on my other '00 SS with mixed results.
A few years ago I used "Nextzett, Klima-Klean" foaming evaporator with good results, but I've read that they changed the formula so it doesn't foam and is less effective. I recently used "Lubegard, Kool-it" foaming cleaner with disappointing results after using 2 cans for the treatment.

What products and methods have you used to get rid of odors?

Old 08-05-2017, 07:40 AM

I used Meguiar's Odor Eliminator on a car that had been smoked in for 4 years, and it demolished the odor. Unfortunately, I don't thin kthe make it anymore. If you find some ,buy every bottle you can.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:40 AM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks for the tip.

I Googled it at it looks like it is still available. Here's a link to a site that still seems to be selling it: Meguiars Car Odor Eliminator 16 oz. New Scent!

They also make a odor "bomb" that I've looked at before.

Did a little more research since I originally posted this thread and found out that GM actually has a TSB out to address this issue that happens in humid climates like mine. Sounds like the odor is caused by mildew/microbial growth that develops on the evaporator from dirt collected on it which absorbs moisture from condensation that forms after using the A/C. They have some solutions. One is to install an evaporator dryer kit.

Here's a link to that bulletin that describes them: HVAC Odor Technical Service Bulletin | CC Tech

Other solutions:

* Turn the A/C off, but leave the blower on several minutes before turning the car off to
help dry out the evaporator.

* Besides the evaporator coil cleaner described in the bulletin, ACDelco has a few products out that are supposed to do the trick.

Here's some link to those products:

1. Evaporator coil cleaner/ coating:
Amazon Amazon

2. Odor eliminator: New Genuine GM 12377951 Cooling Coil 6oz Aerosol Deodorizer & Protector W/ Straw | eBay

I bought both of these products, but it seems the one from Amazon won't arrive until September or October. Once they do and after I use them I'll give my review. While I'm waiting for that I think I'll pick up some of the Meguiars you recommended and give it a try. Thanks again.

Last edited by plumbob; 08-05-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well that's not good, ugh. When I get back home I will let you know the name of a product that I have that removes odors. Still have 3 left over, they were highly rated as being very effective removing odors from the cars interior.

The lines and such I'm clueless about. Seems like you are about on top of that as one can be.