Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): water leak on the floor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 09:51 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Cool water leak on the floor?

so my car is on the way home from zzp and i was told by tim that when the car was going onto the trailer, apparently water was leaking out from the door. they opened the door driverside i assume and there was a decent amount of water. wtf. tim said it may be caused by something with the wiper blade panel. any ideas? any one have this problem?

Old 06-24-2017, 10:21 AM

Yea, these cars are knows to leak from several places.. Into the door, onto the floor, backseat, front floorboards, trunk..

The "drains" get clogged up really easy. You just need to clean them out.. I honestly have no idea where any of them are but there is a write up from chibi I think about the wiperblade panel one..

Other than that you need to stick a wire or something thru the drains. Usually a repeat process of snaking it thru, rinsing, repeating..

Someone else can tell you exactly where they are for sure..

Old 06-24-2017, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

oh wow

Old 06-24-2017, 02:11 PM

Yea, but its really not a big deal. Sounds more complicated than it is. I have heard the stuff that comes out is really nasty too so..

Old 06-24-2017, 09:01 PM

It really maters where you park your car to what or how something gets in doors. However in my Impala on the back passenger side door the drain clogs and if I am parked with the car down on that side even an inch lower then the other side, When it rains it will fill up and spill out one of the plastic door clips on to the car floor. I didn't know it was doing that last years. I was driving the MC more. Then my son got the MC for a road trip and I was asked to take neighbor to Hospital When We got home my younger son that went with me and sat in the back seat said there is lots of water on the floor. First time this has happen in 17 years. So I cleaned out the door good and will have to replace the seal on the outside touching the window soon. Looks good and no cracks or damage.

The one at the front of the car is the Cabin Filter place under the wiper holder. Once the filter is replaced if not installed right the gasket most times is just laying there outside and water goes in and makes the front of the car wet. Then will go so far as making it all the way back to the back seat if it rains alot

Old 06-24-2017, 09:42 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here's a link to the "wiper blade panel", AKA water deflector, (cabin air filter fix) that Chibi posted. It's actually a design flaw that applies to all gen. 6's. The correction part is standard equipment on gen.5's and gen.7's. The fix is cheap and easy, and work's great, but this applies to water on the front passenger floor. Water leaks through the cabin air filter and HVAC blower. https://montecarloforum.com/forum/fw...lem-fix-26663/
It also gets wet on the passenger floor if the heater core leaks. Hopefully that's not the case because that's a PIB contortion act to replace and ruins your carpet. The liquid will be slimey to the touch and might smell if that's the case. If there's enough coolant it will be Dexcool orange or green depending on what your using.

If there is water in one of the doors you'll hear it sloshing around in there when you go around corners. There are two small holes at the bottom front and bottom rear of the doors under the corner of the weatherstripping. Just bend the weatherstripping back to reveal them, and like wht02monte said, use a wire to poke the hole clean. For a more permanent fix pull the inside door panel off and vacuum the crud out that collects inside the door bottom. Pretty tight in there so you need to rig up a small hose on the end of the vacuum hose.
Exactly where is the water showing up? Moon roof drains could be clogged too.

Old 07-30-2017, 08:55 PM

Just picked up an '02 SS. Learning a lot from the forums. Pertaining to this thread. I just discovered the center of my trunk floor is wet. Felt around entire trunk and the rest is dry. Any ideas where it might be coming from? Thanks.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Ridergolf3
Just picked up an '02 SS. Learning a lot from the forums. Pertaining to this thread. I just discovered the center of my trunk floor is wet. Felt around entire trunk and the rest is dry. Any ideas where it might be coming from? Thanks.
Is it water? If you keep coolant in your car and it tips over they will leak from expanding when warm

Old 08-05-2017, 08:31 PM

My own stupidity caused the leak. Added a satellite radio antenna and the wire and sticky back used caused it. Didn't see it come down on the weather strip.