Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

a/c problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
Default a/c problems

well ihave had a stressfull 2 weeks when it comes to the ac in my 01 monte ls. i brought it to the shop and they told me my compressor was bad. i paid 550. then it still didnt work. i bought it back and they told me my condensor was plugged up so i bought a condensor he put it on for free. but it sill wasnt fixed. he replaced my oriface tube also. well i brought it back and he put an accumilator on it. apparently it was also plugged up. he didnt charge me for the part since it didnt fix it. he thinks when the compressor blew it shot junk all through my system. let me know if anyone has an idea of what it can be. i think it might be the evap core but its 160 plus the freon. i would like to get it fixed asap im going south in a few weeks
thanks
rob

Old 07-18-2009, 08:37 AM

It sounds to me like the person that is working on your A/C dont know anything. If his first diagnosis was right and he said the compressor was bad it is standard procedure that you replace the orifice tube since it is downstream from the compressor and automatically catches the trash and from there you must flush the system. Since he failed to do that I am not surprized you are having problems. About the only part that has not been replaced is the evaporator. I have been around A/c systems for years and have never had to replace one yet. Maybe he screwed up and it is clogged and that can be easily checked. Did he tell you or did you notice what your high and low side pressures were? Depending on outside air temp low side should be around 45-50 psi and high side should be around 250 psi. Depending on the pressures we can help you with your problems

Old 07-23-2009, 06:53 PM
5 Year Member

im not sure the exact pressures but he said the high was too high and the low too low. i havt messed with it since last week so im not sure whats wrong

Old 07-23-2009, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by robh68chevy
he replaced my oriface tube also.
Sry I'll finish reading this in a sec, this was just to sweet to pass up

Old 07-24-2009, 01:29 PM

Are you indicating that when he initially replaced the compressor, all he did was to pull a deep(?) vacuum and then recharge? There are othe parts that should definitely have been replaced at the time. At the least, the filter/dryer for one as well as the orifice.

As far as the pressures are concerned, if he had done his job properly in the first place, he should have run a gauge check and noticed any pressure anomaly immediately after the installation of the new compressor and before you drove away.

With those kind of "too high" "too low" pressure numbers it sounds like a possible vacillating system restriction. There could be a number of reasons for that. The mechanic needs to put the gauges back on and watch the pressure readings for awhile.

That "mechanic" knows that he screwed up from the beginning or he wouldn't have put on a free suction accumulator. In fact, EVERY part that he added after the compressor install should have been free in your case since he didn't suggest them in the first place. I'd make notes of everything he did or didn't do each time you visited. Putting on new parts if the system wasn't completely decontaminated is like putting on clean underwear without taking a shower first.