Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

A/C Control Switches

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 06:33 PM
1 Year Member
Default A/C Control Switches

I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with your A/C control switches. My 1 and 5 on my switch doesn't work. 2,3 and 4 work fine. Also my hot/cold slider on the driver side when pushed to hot it blows hot, pushed to cold it blows cool. The passenger side slider works fine. Blows ice cold air. Does anyone have any idea on what could be making this happen? I really would hate to drop the $200 on a brand new control unit if I didn't have to. Thanks in advance.

James

Old 06-30-2014, 06:56 PM

I have a 2004. My fan switch shaft was broken but you could pinch it with your fingers and turn in it with some difficulty. I found several used ones on ebay in the $30-50 range, shipped. I swapped it out and all is well. But, all my HVAC functions worked so it may not be the controller.

Blower fan resistors or blend door motor or shaft/door failure are not uncommon on the Jeeps I own. I assume the resistor is near the blower motor on the cabin passenger side. If you drop the trim panel you may be able to wiggle the connector, or feel the resistor thingy to see if it is unusually hot and gain some troubleshooting info.

If you buy a used control unit and it is not the answer you can always re-sell it for a minimal net loss if not break even.