Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Brakes? 1980 Monte

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 07:30 PM
Default Brakes? 1980 Monte

I've decided to tackle the brakes first in my restoration project. It looks like it's a front wheels braking system with drum brakes in the back.

Given that I want to put a 350 HO 330 hp turn key engine into this thing, I'm wondering if this original braking system is good enough. I have big doubts that it is.

Is is a good idea to convert the car to a four wheel braking system? Does anyone have a place where I can look into this kind of thing? The suspension is something I need to look into also for the kind of motor I'd like to install.

Please help me! I'm a newb with the Monte and am ready and willing to start reading but am not sure where. I don't even have the manual for my car.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Default RE: Brakes? 1980 Monte

those brakes on there will stop you. but yeah 4 wheel disk are nice.
I used to bracket race that same style in a 78-80 versions. the only thing i ever did was change the lines and put on better pads.

and i was doing high 8's and low 9's consitantly in it . with a best of 8.50 at over 100mph. with the stock style braking ..

But the full 4 wheel disk will stop you in less time and also would look nice to . but i am not even sure if they make a kit to do this so if not your goign to have to figure out what would change over to it and also figure out the parts etc..... this can be easy or hard all depends on what you cna find for it in kit form.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:50 PM

Thanks Mick. I'll look into a 4 wheel kit, but you're making me feel better about just repairing the current system. Right now, nothing works. I'd like to first get the brakes working so that I can push the car around with a way to stop it.

Next I'd like to remove the Buick V6 and clean the engine bay, maybe even paint it. I'll undercoat the belly with a rust converter and then weld in a small plate on the left rear trailing arm that has a little rust on it. That should about do it for rust other than some small spots that I'll eventually prep for painting.

The tires have almost no wear on them but the car was sitting for 12 years. I need to figure out a good suspension and spring set for the engine I plan to install. If it's the 350 HO, any suggestions on what kind of suspension I should look into?

I bought a manual today! I'm on my way.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:24 PM

ssbc has nice upgrades for our cars you should take a look at that !