Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Headlight problem

Old 01-13-2008, 10:51 PM
Default Headlight problem

Hey all,

I'm only getting hi-beam power to the driverside headlight. The passenger side doesn't light up. I thought it was the bulb so I changed it, but still it didn't light. Any ideas?

Old 01-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Default RE: Headlight problem

How is the wiring? Simple test would be to put it in the driveway and put the high beams on and wiggle the wiring harnes.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:35 AM

OK, I check this out this morning. I believe it may be a grounding issue coming from the passenger side harness. Though I'm open to all options.

When the low beams are on, ALL the lights come on, however only the driver side low beam is bright.

When the high beams are on, ALL the lights comeon, however only the driver side high beam is bright.

The other 3 remain really dim.

Now the problem started last night from the passenger side. I called my local chevy, and they told me that it would be $130 to diagnose, however since I have the GMPP extended service planfor 51K miles, one of 2 things would happen. If it is a covered part, they would charge me the $100 deductable to fix it. If it isn't covered they would charge me $130 for the diagnose and then the cost of the repair on top of that. So I'm really hard pressed to put it in, since they can't tell me whether it's covered or not. Any ideas?

Old 01-14-2008, 11:35 AM

[align=center]Hi Anthony,[/align][align=center]Sorry to read that you are having a problem : ([/align][align=center]Do you have a tester ? If so check for power ratings. Also, sometimes[/align][align=center]if moisture is contained in the plug, it will cause problems.[/align][align=center]I've used compress air, & also a hair dryer on electrical [/align][align=center]plugs to dry out possible moisture in the plug/harness.[/align][align=center]I had this problem with a few cars after they had[/align][align=center]their engine streamed cleaned.[/align][align=center]Below is a link for testers + more.[/align][align=center]Wish you good luck, & bright lights : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]http://www.jcwhitney.com/Battery-Electrical-Testers/600016355.jcw[/align]

Old 01-14-2008, 12:40 PM

Hey Space,

I'm sure it's not a moisture problem as this whole thing occured during the final stages of the Head Unit replacement last night. I was putting on the plastic cover and as I fit it over the steering wheel the plastic caught the multifunction switch causing the low and high beams to flash on and off as I tried to fit the piece. It was my fault for not disconnecting the battery after testing the head unit.

I do however have a voltage tester and a test light, and I have registered that all sockets ARE recieving power and ground, but that doesn't explain why all the lights are coming on at once. I was thinking perhaps I blew out the relay, or the wiring harness with the flashing back and forth. However, I can't find the relay for the head lights. Any ideas?

Perhaps its the switch at the column? The switch appears to be operating fine. I'm thinking its the wiring harness or the relay, but I can't find the relay.

-Anthony

Old 01-14-2008, 03:09 PM

UPDATE!

I'm still stuck on my theory thata ground wire got fried somewhere. SO! I decided to disconnect the harness at the passenger side headlamp, upon doing this I notice immediately that the driver side head light began to function correctly again.

I tested the driver side with the multifunction switch and it is working properly, the low beam only and then the hi beam only when switched.

Any suggestions where to go from here?

-Anthony

Old 01-14-2008, 05:54 PM

<SHRUG> you might have to ask the dealer on this one. It's beyond me at this point.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:06 PM

I got it, it was a blown fuse under the hood marked "EXT LGT".

Old 01-14-2008, 11:14 PM

Weird, you would think that would have knocked them all down. Thanks for the follow up!!!

Old 01-15-2008, 05:12 AM

Hi Anthony,
It's great to see that you found the problem, & saved a lot by not having to
go to the dealer : )
It's a great feeling when you can find the problem yourself.
Thanks for the update. Wish you a Bright Light highway as you
travel your `journey in your Monte Carlo.
Peace/Out,
`Space

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight problem