Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Brake line kit that fits

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 05:29 PM
Default Brake line kit that fits

Been chasing leaks for two years with flared patches but the lines are original in 2001 LS. Want a complete kit that fits and had the correct fittings. Anyone recommend a good kit to purchase??? Thank you

Old 09-08-2022, 07:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I did pre-bent stainless brake and fuel lines from InLineTube.com. I will admit, they are VERY expensive, but since my Monte is a summer toy, I was willing to justify it. Also, I had to have them re-bend the lines based on my old ones (the original ones they sent had some issues). I don't know for sure, but I suspect if you LS has ABS, then the brake lines I used are probably a direct match.

But to be honest, if this is a daily driver, I would consider buying the coated steel tubing (some prefer NiCop/Nickel Copper), borrow a flaring tool and replace all the lines and be done with it. Almost every time I replace brake line, the tubing is easy to bend by hand. Flaring it is no big deal AND you can take the old fittings and have them matched up at the parts store. I know at the ABS pump, GM used two different thread types to help reduce the chance of mixing lines up. And if you need to do fuel lines, I would heavily consider nylon replacement lines. They are pretty easy to work with.

Old 09-08-2022, 07:34 PM

Thanks, I hunted but like you said, it is tough to find with the correct bends and fittings. I am getting a roll of soft nickel copper and replacing. Any tricks on how to remove the steel nuts from the aluminum ABS block. First attempt with kroil was a no go

Old 09-18-2022, 04:23 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Angus63
Thanks, I hunted but like you said, it is tough to find with the correct bends and fittings. I am getting a roll of soft nickel copper and replacing. Any tricks on how to remove the steel nuts from the aluminum ABS block. First attempt with kroil was a no go
Sorry, I did not see this post originally. I would soak some PB Blaster on them (which Kroil should also work). You can try open end or line wrenches on those nuts. But if those don't appear to work and look like it is only going to round the nut, then the since you place to replace the entire line, your next trick, cut the line of the fitting nut so you can use a socket on that fitting nut to remove it. If it seems excessively tight (like it is corroded in there), you can try to rock it by tightening (just a hair) and then go back to loosen it. And you might have to do that a few times in the travel to release that nut.

Old 09-18-2022, 07:00 PM
Default Success

I did snip the lines and used a small 12VDC impact back and forth lightly on the trigger until free. Both rear lines fully replaced in one piece. No more worries. Thanks!

Old 09-19-2022, 08:29 AM

10 Year Member

Awesome! Glad it all worked out.