Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): "BooooooM" Ain't No Firework!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default "BooooooM" Ain't No Firework!

Welcome to
!"2018" !
Envoys windshield froze over. Approx 33* maybe little less last night 39* @ 0700 (In FLORIDA)
Wife got in '01 Monte SS, Cranked "BooM" went out Smoke....???? !!!!
Raised Hood, Here Is what I See....
(Plenty of Oil 2500 Miles on Oil Change and Lucas) , Anti-Freeze,New Dorman - Intake - 2 Years, Fuel Regulator 1 Year - (3) New Power Coils 1 Month - All GM Parts.......Ran 2 Days ago - Great)
Blew K&W (Type) Air Filter off, Blew Cowling off. No Fire....
????????????????? ! #*&%@$* ??????????????

Any Ideas of Why? Build up ~ Fuel ? Injectors? Fuel Regulator? Timing?

I'm thinking pulling off front wheel and Try turning Crank to see if any Internal damage. Don't want to replace Intake then have it Go Again. It's at the Point of New / Used Engine to Value of car... For me. it has 125K, had it since around 20K... Otherwise Great Car (Lil ClearCoat issues)
Only Reason I Hope this has happened Before is for the I Won't do that again Answer or Here Hold my BEER!

Thanks! For any HELP or Comments! ++ ALL Xcepted ++
Ps... Difficulty of putting a 327 / 350 / 5.3.. Rear wheel drive? Driveshaft Tunnel is there..... ;-}0

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MCSS4.jpg (537.6 KB, 12 views)
MCSS3.jpg (834.2 KB, 12 views)
MCSS2.jpg (630.7 KB, 11 views)
MCSS5.jpg (503.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-04-2018, 02:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
Smile

I just did a google search on this and it would seem that it is a common issue. Check the video out and or just google 3800 motor exploded youtube and there are several vids about it.
Hope this helps.

Old 01-04-2018, 02:37 PM

Well typically... FPR failure is was causes the upper intake explosion... if its not an actual Ac delco part it could have failed. Ive heard the aftermarket FPR are not reliable. also.. the dorman intake is good but the ATP greyworks is an even better option.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:11 PM

My guess would be a pressure regulator leaking. Might be hard to tell now , but does the vacuum line going to the regulator have fuel in it ?

Old 01-04-2018, 07:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Failed Fuel Pressure Regulator. The FPR is not really GM/ACDelco. GM actually has a few years that they had a FPR with a high failure rate.
When it fails it allows fuel vapors to travel through the vac line and build up in the intake. When you start the car, ignites the vapor and BOOM.

As long as no fire took place, should be pretty simple to fix. Just make sure to change the FPR.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:41 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks! Dorman Intake, was Told it was Improved (2 Years on) , I'll check out the ATP G, FPR I have put Bou Cou of them on.... Fuel smell ... All Aftermarket, Finally put GM from Dealership. It's been on for bout a Year. Has been running kinda Rough ... No Fuel in Line.The Wife said the Hood Blew up a Little bit. ( The Air Cleaner was blown off, Throotle open? She said she didn't have foot on Gas) Now I need another Cowling, Glad I didn't let GM take it.. May not have a car. May or May not have stopped the Fire. There was a Lot of smoke. All the Neighbors heard it also. After New Years Last Bam. I'll check out the Vids.
Thanks again for "This IS IT!" I've been on this site and searched it for Years... Always good to go to The Place that Knows!

Old 01-04-2018, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member

ATP Graywerk Intake Ordered
Fel-Pro Gasket Set
AC Delco PRO FPR
Dorman Metal Heater Water tubes

All ORDERED!

Again Thanks for the HELP! And Part Suggestions!

Old 01-17-2018, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member

OK, I have replaced the Exploded Dorman with Graywerks, Delco Pro FPR. All new Vacuum Lines and connectors- rewrapped protective Spark plug wires, Cleaned injectors. Bout everything that was dry rotted or damaged. Car Runs Great! I Did Not Change the lower intake. As I had done that when Dorman went on. I used Fel-Pro gasket set. Alum. Gaskets etc.
**** My Monte SMOKES! ? No Codes thrown, especially overnight sitting. Smells Rich. It has never used oil or smoked before. After driving and sitting it blows smoke...
What Could this be from?
Thanks for the Help Before. My Wife is Afraid to drive it after the 1st Explosion.. She saw the YouTube of Oil Change Explosion.. I Want My Denali Back! Of Course I like driving the Monte SS as Much......
Nothing else out there I like..... as Much....

Old 01-17-2018, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member

>PCV.... Simple Rethink... Hopefully..........

Old 01-17-2018, 05:28 PM

that's what I was thinking,, id go over all the connections and stuff....do a lot of dble checking.....maybe just sumpin simple