Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Bogging under light acceleration help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 08:33 PM
1 Year Member
Default Bogging under light acceleration help!

I've been trying to pin down a problem I've had lately where my Monte Carlo SS 05 is having an issue where it bogs under light acceleration and driving uphill. There are no codes and this is what I've changed
spark plugs ac Delco
Spark plug wires
Fuel filter
K/N filter
Cleaned and rebuilt injectors with screens and pintles
I'm at a loss
I appreciate the feedback

Old 07-12-2017, 06:05 AM

dirty or faulty MAF sensor maybe..... id try cleaning the MAF

Old 07-12-2017, 11:45 AM

Did you bring the car in for the catalytic converter recall? I had the same issue with my 02 SS. The car would bog down, losing RPM, and slowing down, even if my foot was almost to the floor. The moment you take your foot off the gas, and it drops a gear, and slowly put your foot back down it does better, still slow though. It wound up the original owner never took the car in for the cat recall, and it was the culprit. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you hoping that its not the cat, because depending on where you live, your states emissions laws may make it a vary costly fix, $1500 in my case in NY.

As sharpeezss said, I would check your MAF sensor. one easy way to check it is with an ELM327 OBD2 scanner. You can buy them for cheap to connect to your phone and using apps like Torque you can watch and record the data to see what kind of readings the MAF sensor gives. Just make sure you don't go too cheap on the scanner though, i had bought one that wasn't compatible with my Monte, but as long as you stick to reputable sellers you should be fine.

Using that same OBD2 technique I would record the fuel flow as you try to accelerate to see if you're getting some sort of bottle neck on fuel flow.
Although I'd think it pretty unlikely that the Throttle Position Sensor would give the kind of issue you're describing, if you have the scanner you might as well check the position on that too while accelerating.

Hopefully that helps in some way!

Old 07-12-2017, 12:06 PM
1 Year Member

I appreciate the responses, I live in Kentucky so no emissions garbage, I have a good scanner and it can read live data but have no idea what the numbers should look like, at idle and at wot my STFT and LTFT stay close to 0, as far as MAF I don't know what those numbers should be. My O2 sensors fluctuate a lot so I think those are good. If someone can help me understand what I'm looking for in regards to live data I'd appreciate it.

P.S. I'm quite sure the MAF sensor is the original still but I have no codes on the car either and no check engine light

Old 07-12-2017, 12:21 PM

I had seen a spreadsheet of the values to expect for those, I am not sure where I found it though.
Typically you will get a code when the MAF is acting up, although many times it has a different result than what you describe. For me my Monte started jerking a when i accelerated, even very light acceleration. The next day I got a code. I first cleaned, then just replaced the MAF and that problem was fixed.
Just to try and eliminate some possibilities, has the cat been replaced? if not does your engine react the same as the way I described it? Does the car somewhat fix itself if you let off the gas then get back on it?

Old 07-12-2017, 12:26 PM
1 Year Member

The car does not fix itself when I let off the gas it also has a sound like exhaust leaking through a hole when this happens. It regains power by downshifting. I had the trans rebuilt last summer and I use to spin tires by barely pressing the gas at a stop now bog, bog, bog lol

Old 07-12-2017, 01:00 PM

Right, that's the same problem I had. I would say drive the car at night, take it on a highway, or whatever road you can to push the car a bit, maybe for 10-15 min. then pull over and look under the car to see if its glowing.

Has the cat been replaced? If not I would honestly consider this the problem, everything just sounds like it falls into the realm of a bad cat...

Old 07-12-2017, 01:05 PM
1 Year Member

Yeah cat is factory I have a zzp bolt on downpipe without a cat but was thinking about sending it back.
can these cars run without the cat?

Old 07-12-2017, 01:06 PM
1 Year Member

But right now the factory cat is still on the car

Old 07-12-2017, 01:13 PM

Yes, I believe you can, If you do just make sure if there are any gaskets that you don't lose them

Edit: Yes, you will get a check engine light. Just a heads up.

Last edited by Jason B; 07-12-2017 at 01:15 PM.