Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Blown head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 12:32 PM
3 Year Member
Default Blown head gasket

I have a 2001 Chevy Monte Carlo 3.4L. I blew a head gasket so coolant is going into one of the cylinders. Its not too bad, the car doesnt over heat it just runs hotter than usual and i have to keep putting water/coolant in it. Im going to replace the gaskets next month when i got more money. Now my question is what would be the best additive to put in my car for the time being? Ive used the Bars copper head gasket repair on cars with head gaskets that leaked into the oil but never when it leaks into the cylinder? Should the same stuff work?

Old 09-06-2017, 01:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't care for the snake oils I call then like you mentioned. But in a pinch to get you by for a week or 3 I have seen this stuff called Blu Devil head gasket sealer work pretty good for a temporary band aid. Can get it at advance auto.
Had a Tacoma pickup back when I was working on cars regular come into the shop. Blown head gasket... Owner couldn't afford the correct repair at the time. So I poured a bottle of blu devil in it. 6 months later the darn thing still going and not over heating lol.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I too am hesitant on these "cures in a bottle". In order for a head gasket or coolant repair in a bottle to work, it is basically creating a "clog" in the system. Problem is, what other risks do those products have? Could clog a radiator or heater core or build up deposits in other parts of the system.

Best to leave those bottles on the shelf at the parts store and fix the actual problem.