Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): blower motor problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 06:02 AM
Default blower motor problem

Good morning everybody! I'm new to the site and am looking for a bit of advise other than "take it to the dealer" I have a 2003 Monte Carlo SS 3.8 with 120,000 mi. I can't seem to figure out the blower motor problem. It was working fine and started to stop on occasion. Within a week it stopped working all together. I believe it had been changed before as the resistor was incased in epoxy and the blower was a Delphi. The pig tail was not melted into the resistor but did not appear to have been changed. I changed out the blower motor and resistor on 5/3 with no positive results. Still will not work on any speed. The better half and her son said the switch would stick from time to time and I've heard about a possible heater control door problem. I could use a little advise to diagnose and repair this problem as it is an everyday driver. Thanks in advance

Old 05-05-2014, 11:47 AM

if i understand the issue correctly, the fan does not turn on at all. when driving and having the heat turned on, do you feel the heat at all, or the cooling when its set to cold?

if you just put in a NEW motor and NEW resistor, you may need a hvac head unit (the dash piece).

try Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market for a junk yard directory

if you choose this route, be sure to make note of how the pieces go together on the back, there is a rubber boot thing and a ball bearing. make sure they go back together the same way they came apart.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:05 PM

Thanks. I'll try it this weekend. Are there any videos or possible a u tube clip that goes through it to make it a bit easier? Also would you trust a junk yard replacement or would a new one be recommended

Old 05-06-2014, 08:32 PM

i dont even know if a new one is available.

i would get a junk yard one personally.

i am sure there are youtube clips available on how to remove it, but all you have to do is pull off the dash face to expose the radio and hvac head units. couple screws and it comes out. there are vacuum ports on the back, unplug them.

its pretty simple and easy once you get into it. takes me about 3 mins to remove and reinstall mine.