Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Black Gloss Plasti Dip 07 SS stock Chevy Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Default Black Gloss Plasti Dip 07 SS stock Chevy Wheels?

I am planning on doing this either before winter or at beginning of spring through dipyourcar.com.
And before anyone types anything, yes, powder coating and many other forms are much better for rims. I understand this completely. But This way, if I do not like it, I can remove it.
Now, my questions are geared towards someone who has done this or knows someone who has done this, and if they have any tips or pointers for this process.
I am a new member, and I have owned my Monte for several years now, and I have joined this forum because I plan on beginning to make additions and changes soon, and I have been on this site many times before and learned a lot, and would love to have people put personal input on the things I am doing/planning on doing/thinking of doing.
Thanks all!

Old 09-29-2013, 08:39 AM
Default Plasti dip

I did mine on my own, I bought it at lowes, I loved it so much I did my jeep also, This stuff holds up pretty well.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:52 PM

It honestly depends on the color of your car, I used to own a blue 2003 monte carlo ss. To be honest I wasn't really a fan of it it made the blue look darker. But if you have black or gray on the other hand im sure it would look great! Plasti-Dip is definitely long lasting and sticks up to a lot of abuse from the elements. My friend has a jeep grand Cherokee and he plasti dip'd his rims; and he spends more time off the road than he does on the road! Still to this day they look as good as the day we sprayed the rims. good luck!

Old 12-05-2013, 09:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by jbrady117
I am planning on doing this either before winter or at beginning of spring through dipyourcar.com.
And before anyone types anything, yes, powder coating and many other forms are much better for rims. I understand this completely. But This way, if I do not like it, I can remove it.
Now, my questions are geared towards someone who has done this or knows someone who has done this, and if they have any tips or pointers for this process.
I am a new member, and I have owned my Monte for several years now, and I have joined this forum because I plan on beginning to make additions and changes soon, and I have been on this site many times before and learned a lot, and would love to have people put personal input on the things I am doing/planning on doing/thinking of doing.
Thanks all!
Idk anyone who would put down plasti dip for rims. Its safe for the rims. Its just a colored rubber coating and looks good. Way cheaper than powder coat and like you said removable. I'd say go for it try it out.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think it looks good, my GF did it to her Impala SS and it come out good.

The only trouble she has is after a little while it might start peeling off around the edge of the rim. Gets to be a pain in the...

Old 12-05-2013, 10:47 PM

Would you be taking the tires off the car while you do this? if not make sure you rip a garbage bag in half and surround the brake caliper and rotor with the bag. Also put newspaper EVERYWHERE around the wheel well, its easy to get off when there are many layers on the car, but if you have alittle over spray- its a real pain to get off!

Old 12-06-2013, 07:16 PM

Walmart sells the black and glossifier; you can do it yourself for under $20.

Originally Posted by MnteCrloSS47

The only trouble she has is after a little while it might start peeling off around the edge of the rim. Gets to be a pain in the...
I think this was due to the rims not being completely cleaned. Plastidip doesn't stick to tire shine very well :p If it's done properly I think it will work better.

Originally Posted by Longislandmonte
but if you have alittle over spray- its a real pain to get off!
A little Goo Gone works nicely if this happens.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:43 AM

Kind of a old thread. Plasti dip is a great product. I bought a gun and plan dipping my whole entire car. ( my 85 gbody). I also own a red ls4 impala and I've dipped my window trim, grill, emblems, grill, and some interior bezels. I have a few pics if you click on my albums.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Is it possible to do 2 colors with a Plastidip application? I mean could one do a black wheel with a red pinstripe or other type of accent all out of Plastidip products?

Old 01-11-2014, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Is it possible to do 2 colors with a Plastidip application? I mean could one do a black wheel with a red pinstripe or other type of accent all out of Plastidip products?
Sure. There's a ton of options with the product. There are people that have taken plasti dip to the next level and mix pigments to make there own custom colors.