Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Bizarre Glitch

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Bizarre Glitch

I had a strange one happen this afternoon. I moved my car to the lower portion of the driveway to wash it, and when I went to move it back it didn't want to start. All the indicator lights went through their test cycle, the fuel pump primed, but when I turned the key to the start position all dash lights went out and no click from the starter...just complete silence. The dome light worked, horn, etc...just wouldn't turn over. I ran it through the gears, checked battery connections and voltage...still nothing. After thinking about it for a minute and on a whim decided to get my other set of keys and try them. First I tried the first set of keys again...nothing. Tried the second set and the car fired right up. Turned it on/off a few times...fired up every time. Switched to the first set of keys...fired right up. Tried it a few times...fired up every time. How bizarre! For some reason it must not have liked the first set of keys (even though they have been in use for months) but after starting it with the second set the first set worked again. Go figure...

Old 05-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Possible passlock issue?

When I drive my girlfriend's dad's Escalade, if I use his keys the seat moves automatically when I pull it out of the ignition, crushing me up against the dash

If I use the spare keys for the truck, it doesn't move at all... it gets annoying sometimes lol

Old 05-08-2012, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
Possible passlock issue?
I was wondering about that, but the security light didn't come on.

When I drive my girlfriend's dad's Escalade, if I use his keys the seat moves automatically when I pull it out of the ignition, crushing me up against the dash

If I use the spare keys for the truck, it doesn't move at all... it gets annoying sometimes lol
Has anybody played the movie Christine on the DVD player? Maybe the Escalade is trying to tell you something.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

sorry, can't help with your issue.... But that up there ^^ is priceless..... you gotta get a video of that........

Old 05-08-2012, 08:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I know a guy who's uncle in Texas had problems with a Saturn (luckily it was an "extra" car). When my friend was visiting his uncle it sounded like a Passlock/PCM relearn issue. So, I stepped him though the PCM re-learn and the car fired up. Less then a week later (after my friend was back home in Ohio), same issue, lights, fuel pump hum, no starter activity. His uncle did the PCM relearn and it worked again. This went on about a month or two.
Then he got a call from his uncle, the key had fallen out of the ignition while he was driving the car!! He said he looked at the key and it was rather thin!! Since this was his only key, he had a new copy made from it. The new copy was thicker and he no longer has issues with that Saturn!! WEIRD!!

Old 05-08-2012, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I know a guy who's uncle in Texas had problems with a Saturn (luckily it was an "extra" car). When my friend was visiting his uncle it sounded like a Passlock/PCM relearn issue. So, I stepped him though the PCM re-learn and the car fired up. Less then a week later (after my friend was back home in Ohio), same issue, lights, fuel pump hum, no starter activity. His uncle did the PCM relearn and it worked again. This went on about a month or two.
Then he got a call from his uncle, the key had fallen out of the ignition while he was driving the car!! He said he looked at the key and it was rather thin!! Since this was his only key, he had a new copy made from it. The new copy was thicker and he no longer has issues with that Saturn!! WEIRD!!
My situation was the exact opposite. The (first) key that wouldn't start the car is a copy I had cut by a friend of mine at the Chevy dealership. The (second) key that started the car was the original and is slightly thinner than the copy. When I went out tonight to pick up the kid from school I took both sets of keys with me...just in case...but the (first) key seems to be working fine again now. I just hope this isn't the prelude to an underlying problem. If it is (and knowing Murphy) it will strike at the most inopportune time.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
sorry, can't help with your issue.... But that up there ^^ is priceless..... you gotta get a video of that........
I will next time lol

Old 05-08-2012, 09:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- April 2011
GOT SPL

You could have maybe just got something wet as well.. unlike when it rains, when you wash it, it is very easy to spray water in an area that's sensitive but in normal rain it may never get wet. I had an issue like this once a long long time ago.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:52 PM

This happened to me a while back, Car wouldnt crank and tried several times. So i put it neutral and tried and it cranked right up.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:38 PM

mine does this once in a while too, its really really agitating.

Quick Reply: Bizarre Glitch