Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Big problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Big problems

I pulled my dash apart this morning to play around with the speed hut gauges and for some reason that I have not been able to figure out the ignition switch has locked in the off position.

I put the dash back together and the damn thing will not move from off..

Any ideas???

TVW

Old 04-30-2005, 06:26 PM
Default RE: Big problems

you got me there man, im clueless. you dont have another ignition key do you. id try that and hopefully you can get somewhere with that. man that sucks. call the dealer and just tell the that it doesnt work. play stupid with them. ive seen it dopne before. good luck man. if i think of anything ill post back.

Old 04-30-2005, 06:58 PM

have you tried the basic stuff todd? like wiggling the shifter...the wheel..so on?

Old 04-30-2005, 07:10 PM

I've tried all the obvious stuff.

I think I am going to have to play the ignorant car owner Monday..... [:@]

I pulled the entire thing apart again to see how/if there were any switches/wires that were cut/pulled/tripped and I am lost.

I almost wonder if the ignition switch just went bad... At the same time unlikely, we will see I guess...

TVW

Old 04-30-2005, 07:33 PM

i wonder if maybe there is a passive security system of some sort?

Old 04-30-2005, 10:18 PM

damn tvw, how in the hell did you do that? that is the first theft deterrent device that i have ever heard of in that form or fashion. i think that you my have adjusted something and dont know it somehow. did you even take the ignotion swith off, but even if you didnt connect al of the wires it still should turn over just not fire up

Old 04-30-2005, 11:02 PM

the only way you will set the pass lock is if the pcm loses communication withthe ign cyl. also if the security system is set it will crank but the fuel enable is not set. its gotta be a mechanical failure. thinkin back i had a grand am apart and the key was still in the ignition and the plastic panel pulled the key out it never worked again. i had to replace it. but thats because it was forced out. did you tear it apart and see if there was anything maybe it there that is in the way?

Old 05-01-2005, 01:33 AM

I've been through the entire thing till I am blue in the face. I finally got tired of spending time on it and put everything back together.

I have noticed that the theft light on the stereo system blinks steadily when I disarm/unlock the system. I am not sure if this has always happened but I have not noticed it before.

I did not remove the ignition switch only the dash panels all around it enough to pull the gauge cluster out of the car. The only wires I removed are the gauge cluster connection, hazard switch & trunk release.

I am starting to wonder if it's a mechanical failure. Timing seems odd though..

TVW

Old 05-01-2005, 12:43 PM

yeah timing seems very odd to me to but i think that your car is too new to be having mech failures like that. and i will see if my antitheft light blinks when i disarm the car and see what the results are and let you know aight.

Old 05-02-2005, 11:41 PM

Well, the ignition cylinder and switch was fubar..

And I must say, I did not realize how worn my original ignition was. The new one is much tighter.

Word of warning to all, never pull your dash apart with the key in the ignition.

Didn't cost me a dime... And I got a free car wash out of it... I love my dealership...

tvw

Quick Reply: Big problems