Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): best code reader

Old 09-12-2015, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default best code reader

Hi all, sort of new to the forum. Have loved Monte's for years, and I do my own wrenching. My query is, I have a 2003 ls, and when I bought it, the bcm was out. I have since replaced it, and did the reflash, but my code reader (a buddies) was suppose to be able to interact with the bcm, but was only able to do minimal programming. (only basics) No headlight delay, no dome lights etc. So I am now wanting to buy a reader/programmer, and would like to hear some opinions on which ones are best. Also, I am selling my Innova 3150 if anyone is interested. Has been plugged in maybe 5 times, so basically new. Thanks in advance h.

Old 09-13-2015, 01:06 AM

I went from an Innova 3100e to the Innova 31603 Professional so I would have ABS code reading and live data recording. Did a bit of research before buying it and if you are wanting something for bcm/ecm programming you would have to fork out some big $$ for a Tech II or something similar. Not very cost efficient for the average DIY person. If you want to upgrade from your 3150 the 31603 would be your best bet in my opinion. To see the Professional series from Innova you have to go to pro.innova.com as they are not listed on innova.com

Old 09-13-2015, 06:35 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Not sure if this will help or not but our admin The_Maniac does some computer work on our vehicles.
Not sure if it is just PCM or if he is able to do anything with the BCM.
This thread may help https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pr...ht=programming

Since you are not a full member yet, you will not be able to PM him but if you respond to his post above, he may be able to help you. If not, I am sure he could get you pointed in the right direction.
Good luck!!

Old 09-13-2015, 09:04 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Most code readers do just that, codes. Some can read ABS codes and BCM codes (you can get a basic BlueTooth ELM ODBII adapter and the right app on your phone for those features, I believe a cost of less then $40).

When you are talking about anything to program a device in a GM car, you really need a TechII. There are obviously other devices out there that can do programming (such as an HP Tuner or DHP PowrTuner can reflash a PCM, no problem there).
You can get a knock-off TechII for $300-$500 I believe off eBay. I've read about people with them and from what I have read, it let's you do everything you need to a GM up to I believe 2014 (in 2014, GM moved to a new system).

Now the features you said you could not program, you may want to check your owners manual, the BCM might be at a default and there may be a method to change those settings without a TechII.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the input guys. I know if you have the stock stereo, you can do a lot through that. Which I do have, but unfortunately my idiot nephew unplugged it, and now it just reads 'calibration error'. I do a lot of flipping, so I was thinking a programmer may be a better route for me. (I'm disabled, so I can't afford to go to a dealer every time I have a car with this issue) Plus several of the shops in town have told me to let them know if I get one, and they will send buss. my way instead of to the dealer.

Are the knock off tech 2s, any good? Even a used, real one for a grand, doesn't seem like all that much money. Not when the dealer can be upwards of 500, to install, and program a bcm.

Maniac, what kind of programming do you do? I have noticed some real erratic shifting in this Monte. I know its 9 chances out of 10 the pressure solenoid. But I'm sure there's a lot of room for improvement in the programming dept. too.

Once again thanks in advance! h

Old 09-13-2015, 06:16 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member

Just putting in my 2 cents here.
Hemivette, as you know from my thread: https://montecarloforum.com/forum/mo...-symbol-54299/, Aftermarket Tech 2's are hit and miss. Kinda' like rolling the dice and even the newer genuine ones can have problems since Bosch is having the electronics mfr'd. in Asia now. I will also add that in order to program a PCM you need to download the software from GM's Tech2WIN or TIS2000 software/ website which requires a paid subscription of around $1,395/ year. There may also be a 3 day subscription available, not sure. You CAN program BCM's w/o the subscription. Transmission diagnostics, data reads and command tests are very comprehensive though.

Last edited by plumbob; 09-13-2015 at 06:57 PM. Reason: software correction
Old 09-13-2015, 06:28 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Hemivette
Are the knock off tech 2s, any good? Even a used, real one for a grand, doesn't seem like all that much money. Not when the dealer can be upwards of 500, to install, and program a bcm.
I'm willing to bet, it is probably as reliable as the real TechII. But unless you know someone with a shop that uses it all the time, hard to really say. As PlumBob said, it cannot do a PCM re-program without a subscription to GM, but it can reprogram other items, such as BCMs and Radios without a subscription. If you don't wrench a lot on cars or run a shop, odds are this is extreme overkill.

Originally Posted by Hemivette
Maniac, what kind of programming do you do? I have noticed some real erratic shifting in this Monte. I know its 9 chances out of 10 the pressure solenoid. But I'm sure there's a lot of room for improvement in the programming dept. too.
I am willing to make minor adjustments to settings in the PCM for cars supported by my DHP PowrTuner. The link below explains everything in detail:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pr...-3100-a-42773/

Odds are your erratic shifting is a problem with the trans. I cannot do anything for that. All I can do is firm up shifts and tweak shift points a touch.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
Angry

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I'm willing to bet, it is probably as reliable as the real TechII. But unless you know someone with a shop that uses it all the time, hard to really say. As PlumBob said, it cannot do a PCM re-program without a subscription to GM, but it can reprogram other items, such as BCMs and Radios without a subscription. If you don't wrench a lot on cars or run a shop, odds are this is extreme overkill.

I am willing to make minor adjustments to settings in the PCM for cars supported by my DHP PowrTuner. The link below explains everything in detail:
https://montecarloforum.com/forum/pr...-3100-a-42773/

Odds are your erratic shifting is a problem with the trans. I cannot do anything for that. All I can do is firm up shifts and tweak shift points a touch.
Wow thanks for the input on the subscription, I've only been trying to figure out this bcm for a couple days, and I hadn't seen anything about 14hundred a year. So, if a guy just wanted to be able to interact with the bcm, am I still looking at the tech 2, or is there something else?

Sorry for the delays, ivd been out working on her, and checking back on my breaks. So far, rewired, and soldered the horns, only to not have them work. Then somebody had bypassed the amp, so I grabbed a harness from the yard, and stripped, and soldered the 47wires, now the stereo doesn't work?!!!!???? Really! I cleaned up the mess, and quit for the day. h

Old 09-13-2015, 10:44 PM

10 Year Member

I'm going to say a TechII is your best bet to to completely set up a BCM. I honestly do not know any other tool that can do any programming of a BCM (not saying they don't exist, I just don't know of them).

In my experience with computers in the GM cars and diagnostic tools, there are a lot of tools and programs on the Internet that make fancy "promises" that sound like "hey, this does what a TechII does, but is a fraction of the cost", by the time you use those tools for things you would use a TechII for and find "hey, this failed my expectations" you are probably past any guarantee offered by the seller (I know some people that have "been there done that").
If you want to do what a TechII does, then you need a TechII.
That is from being around too many people that tried to go around the price tag. Not saying there is not an alternative (there probably is, just not sure who makes it and what the cost difference is).

Old 09-13-2015, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I'm going to say a TechII is your best bet to to completely set up a BCM. I honestly do not know any other tool that can do any programming of a BCM (not saying they don't exist, I just don't know of them).

In my experience with computers in the GM cars and diagnostic tools, there are a lot of tools and programs on the Internet that make fancy "promises" that sound like "hey, this does what a TechII does, but is a fraction of the cost", by the time you use those tools for things you would use a TechII for and find "hey, this failed my expectations" you are probably past any guarantee offered by the seller (I know some people that have "been there done that").
If you want to do what a TechII does, then you need a TechII.
That is from being around too many people that tried to go around the price tag. Not saying there is not an alternative (there probably is, just not sure who makes it and what the cost difference is).

Right on thanks for the input! Ive done my share of buying the wrong thing myself. That's reason for my research here. Looks like I will be buying a tech II. h

Search this Thread