Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

BCM/ECU/ignition problems? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 10:46 PM
Default BCM/ECU/ignition problems? HELP!

Hey guys and gals, first post here. Been lurking here since I was given my 03 MC two years back. I'm 18 now, and she's on the road. Well, was. Until this afternoon. I got it running around two weeks ago, full service, new battery. Installed aftermarket head unit. Been driving it ever since. This afternoon when I went to program the new key fob I got for it, it would not turn over. At first, the interior lights were on, and the radio was on. Then those quit. Then the gauge cluster quit. I'm not sure if I messed something up when trying to program the fob (no instructions on box, so had to google) tried a few key on/off things. One how to had me jump the 4 and 8 pins on the OBDii port (could this have messed it up?) anyways long story short, when I go to crank it now, all that shows up is the check engine light (wasn't on previously), and when I go to turn the car over, the relay clicks letting me know it's trying to work. Battery is brand new. Tried the pass lock resets on the internet, also to no avail. Help please! A mechanic in town I called said it could be the ignition module or something and said it'd be around $220 for parts and labor, but I want to make sure it's not something simple before I go spending that kind of money on it. Remember, 18 year old still in high school, no financial help from parents. Thanks in advance. 💪

Old 05-07-2016, 04:42 PM

This is my same exact problem, any luck with this issue?

Old 05-07-2016, 05:37 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Should be no reason to short out any pins on your ODB-II port (shorting pins pre-dates ODB-II). I looked at the shop book to see what you shorted, looks like it was a ground to nothing. Shorting pins can be very dangerous.

Now, you mention a relay clicking. Are you sure that is not the starter? If it is, then you may have a drained battery. When the battery drains, it can do some really weird things with the car (I had a parasitic drain for a couple years, if I did not drive the Monte for about 3 days, battery was dead).
Any local parts store can test and charge the battery for free. If you have the tools to remove it, I'd start there, make sure it's good.

Most parts stores can also test the ignition control module if you bring it to them. Not sure you are truly to that point yet.