Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): battery light stays on in message center while cars running

Old 12-18-2014, 04:59 PM
key
Default battery light stays on in message center while cars running

my battery light stays on while the car is running I have change the alternator I have changed and replaced battery but it still stays on in the message center what can I do or where do I need to check to get that off for 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo with a 3.4 motor its killing the battery

Last edited by key; 12-18-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:24 PM
key

Originally Posted by key
my battery light stays on while the car is running I have change the alternator I have changed and replaced battery but it still stays on in the message center what can I do or where do I need to check to get that off for 2000 Chevy Monte Carlo with a 3.4 motor
Also change ignition switch tested alternator with multi meter nothing coming out checked an tested fuses relays an fuseable links had Autozone test alternator its good do i need to clear the code please someone help lead me where to look

Old 12-18-2014, 10:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Check your Grounds. That light means your ECM is not seeing the correct voltages. Check the ground to your ECM.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:20 AM
key

I'll check that today an post if it fixes it ty

Old 12-19-2014, 10:03 AM

Hi `Key,
I hope more of our expert tech member's see's your thread & can assist...(Thanks J.C. for your help to our new Member)

Until then, you may want to read the below (I hope it informs & answers some questions)(?)

The electrical switching portion of the ignition lock cylinder assembly is separate from the key and lock cylinder. The electrical switch portion and the key and lock cylinder synchronize and work in conjunction through the action of the mechanical assembly between the two components.

PASSLOCK(TM) SENSOR
The Passlock(TM) sensor contains 2 hall effect sensors. The tamper hall effect sensor is on the top. The security hall effect sensor is under the tamperhall effect sensor. Both of the hall effect sensors monitor the magnet of the lock cylinder through an opening. The tamper hall effect sensor is physically placed on top of the security hall effect sensor. This arrangement enables the tamper hall effect sensor to engage first if an intruder attempts to bypass the Passlock(TM) sensor by placing a large magnet around that area of the steering column. There is a tamper resistor inside the Passlock(TM) sensor in order to help prevent tamper to the system. Passlock(TM) equipped vehicles have a selection of 10 different security resistors ranging from 0.5K ohms up to 13.6K ohms . Installing one of the security resistors inside the Passlock(TM) sensor will generate a unique Passlock(TM) code. All 10 combinations of the Passlock(TM) sensor have the same part number.

BODY CONTROL MODULE
The body control module (BCM) contains the theft deterrent system logic. The BCM reads the Passlock(TM) data from the Passlock(TM) sensor. If the Passlock(TM) data is correct, the BCM will send a class 2 message to the PCM to enable the fuel injectors and crank relay.

During the tamper mode the vehicle may start. The vehicle will then stall. If the BCM receives the wrong Passlock(TM) data, the VTD system will immediately go into the tamper mode. The tamper mode will lock-out the vehicle fuel injectors and crank relay for 10 minutes . The SECURITY indicator will flash while the VTD is in the tamper mode.

If the Passlock(TM) sensor sends a correct password to the BCM when the ignition is in the ON position, the BCM will send a fuel enable and crank relay enable signal to the PCM.

SECURITY INDICATOR
The SECURITY indicator appears on the message center inside the instrument cluster. If the SECURITY indicator flashes or if the SECURITY indicator lights continuously during vehicle operation, refer to the system diagnosis.

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE
The PCM communicates with the BCM over the Class 2 serial data line. When the BCM determines an incorrect password, it sends a Class 2 serial data password to the PCM in order to disable the crank relay and fuel injection system. If the BCM receives the expected voltage from the Passlock(TM) sensor, the BCM sends a class 2 serial data password to the PCM in order to enable the crank relay and fuel injection system. The PCM then allows the vehicle to start normally.

FUEL LOCKOUT CYCLE
The Passlock(TM) system has a lockout cycle of approximately 10 minutes . Once the vehicle is in the lockout cycle, the vehicle remains in the lockout cycle for 10 minutes , even if the ignition switch is turned from the ON position to the OFF position.

The Passlock(TM) system uses the lockout cycle in order to synchronize all of the Passlock(TM) components when any Passlock(TM) related part is replaced. The Passlock(TM) system requires 3 consecutive lockout cycles in order to complete the 30 minute learn procedure for a changed component.

CHANGING THE PASSLOCK(TM) COMPONENTS
The design of the Passlock(TM) system is to prevent theft even if the various theft deterrent parts change. The parts that can no longer be changed without the possibility of going into a tamper mode are:

* The Passlock(TM) sensor
* The BCM
* The PCM

If you replace any of these parts the vehicle may not start for 10 minutes . This is the long tamper mode. If this occurs, the system must go through a long tamper mode cycle. During this time the SECURITY indicator will be flashing for the full 10 minutes and DTC B3031 will be set. The BCM and the PCM require the full 10 minutes in order to complete a learn cycle. The ignition switch must remain in the ON position until the SECURITY indicator stops flashing. You will need to repeat the cycle if the ignition switch does not remain in the ON position. When replacing any of the above parts, perform the Programming Theft Deterrent System Components procedure.

The design of the Passlock(TM) system is to prevent the vehicle operation if the proper ignition key is not used in order to start the vehicle. The mechanical key, in normal operation, will turn the ignition lock cylinder. The Passlock(TM) sensor monitoring the position of the lock cylinder will relay the Passlock(TM) data to the body control module (BCM). The BCM will determine the validity of the Passlock(TM) data. The BCM will send a password to the powertrain control module (PCM). When the PCM receives the correct password the PCM allows the crank relay and fuel injectors to operate normally. The Passlock(TM) system requires the PCM and the BCM to communicate the various functions in order to operate. These functions transmit over the class 2 serial data line. For an explanation of the class 2 serial data description and operation refer to Data Link Communications Description and Operation in Data Link Communications.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Check your battery to see if it has a bad cell. If it checks out ok put it on a battery charger. Check the battery cables for excessive resistance. Check battery cable ground wire for a clean/tight connection at the stud on transmission. Check positive battery cable for clean/tight connection at the starter. Have starter checked for proper operation.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:49 PM
key

Done all that but still the alternator won't charge put new starter, battery, alternator (3 times). Checked all grounds, I had everything tested twice but still same problem have to have two battery's just to get back an fourth every day. Checked the ECM all connectors are good. Tryed to scan it today scanner didn't pick up anything it couldn't scan.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Your scanner had no reading at all? You may have a PMC problem. Is your battery actually discharging or is it just the dashboard saying it's discharged?

Old 12-21-2014, 09:08 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by key
Done all that but still the alternator won't charge put new starter, battery, alternator (3 times). Checked all grounds, I had everything tested twice but still same problem have to have two battery's just to get back an fourth every day. Checked the ECM all connectors are good. Tryed to scan it today scanner didn't pick up anything it couldn't scan.

If that's the case then it may be the output wire on the back of the alternator that goes to the battery. If that checks ok then you have a parasitic drain in one of the circuits. You can monitor voltage at the battery while pulling fuses one by one. If you pull a fuse and see an increase in voltage the circuit the fuse protects is where to look for the problem.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:36 PM
key

The battery's discharging have to charge them everyday an no driving at night. I've done the fuse test pulling out each one there's no parasitic draw battery lights on in the message center saying there's a charging problem the alternator just won't produce a charge. How can you check if the PCM is bad is there a test I can do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): battery light stays on in message center while cars running