Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Battery or Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 11:39 AM
Default Battery or Alternator?

I have a 07 ss and recently ive been having some weird issues. My stereo reset to factory mode and lately when I turn the engine off it will turn off but it should go into accessory mode and stay live until I open my driver door. The compass needed calibration so I did it but then the next morning it said it needed to be calibrated again. The lights have been flickering, or at least I think they are. Could it be the alternator or battery? The battery was manufactured in 09 and I got the car in February of this year. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 12-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by David Brandhorst
I have a 07 ss and recently ive been having some weird issues. My stereo reset to factory mode and lately when I turn the engine off it will turn off but it should go into accessory mode and stay live until I open my driver door. The compass needed calibration so I did it but then the next morning it said it needed to be calibrated again. The lights have been flickering, or at least I think they are. Could it be the alternator or battery? The battery was manufactured in 09 and I got the car in February of this year. Any help would be greatly appreciated
The battery run-down realy may be going out. Could be all sorts of electrical gremlins but that's a place to start.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Auto zone will check your electric system for free I believe.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Batterys are only good for 3 to 5 yrs...

My first guess, I would suspect the Battery maybe starting to fail....

A good indicator of that would be your alt gauge showing 14volts and above constantly and never settleing back to 12 volts....Once the battery is fully recharged.... If your alternator, Isnt showing any charging capeability...That may also indicate that the battery has benn bad for such a long time its possible all the excessive the alts been doing I would also consider it may have failing diode in the alt....

Like Tad mentioned previously... Most any local auto parts can do a quicky testing of the charging system. But If that's the same battery that been in it since 2009, Me myself I would seriously consider putting a new one in it.
Since its lasted the last 4 yrs... out of a possible 5 yr life expectancy..
Considering your now having charging issues...
I would venture a guess, That everyday your having to do a reset...tells me its a low voltage issue... These Monte's are/have built in electrical safe modes... Incase of low voltage situations so that you have a less likely hood of burning out PCM's etc.... So, it auto matically switch everything back to stock mode...Thus saving some of the energy/voltage in the system.

That's my guess.
Besure to let us know what you had done to resolve the charging issue etc....
Thanks.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member

If your Alt. is bad, you your car will run until the battery is drained. If your battery is bad you will have symptoms like you described plus it will new crank like you are use to. Sounds to me like you have a battery problem. But I would take it to a shop and have the electrical system checked as previously recommended!