Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Bad Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Bad Fuel Pump

My old car, Alice, a 1990 Jaguar XJS, experienced an issue recently. And even though it's not a Monte, I'd thought I'd share since the problem is one that could happen to most cars and someone might learn from.

A couple months ago, I noticed a slight stumble in the engine, usually at low speed / RPM. It would only last a fraction of a second. It was so slight at first that I didn't know if I was imagining it. Over the next few weeks, it started happening more frequently and lasting longer, up to 5 - 10 seconds. And eventually it happened at a variety of speeds / RPM.

Turns out my fuel pump was slowly dying. It was working, but was not putting out the proper fuel pressure. And apparently it would 'hiccup' now and then making the engine noticeably stumble. I ended up bringing her to my mechanic for diagnosis / repair. I knew that the fuel filter and pump were on the short-list of possible culprits, but also realized it could be a few other electrical / ignition things as well. I didn't want to just throw new parts at the problem without some diagnosis.

I pick her up Fri morning. With any luck, the fuel pump was the only thing causing the engine to stumble. If it turns out otherwise, I'll post an update.