Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Average MPG in your Monte SS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I don't know where you live or your driving habits, but when the colder weather comes, your MPGs drop down. Not only does the gas have additives in it and the MPG isn't great from that, but usually someone will warm up their car. Also the air is pretty dense in the winter and your PCM commands more fuel because there is more air.

Overall you have done some great preventative maintenance. Keep an eye on everything. I would do the fuel filter, just because it was probably never done, and it's easy on these cars if the nuts aren't rusted up.
Thanks for the recommendation, Chibi. So I just replaced the fuel filter and it was so dirty! It seems as if it's never been replaced. Hope this helps it out some!

Old 12-10-2011, 02:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glad to hear you were able to replace it.

If you want you can also buy a can of seafoam to run through the gas tank. I wouldn't use much else besides seafoam though.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:32 AM

Oh, that's right. I completely forgot about that stuff. Now aren't you supposed to use that before an oil change?

Old 12-11-2011, 12:57 PM

If you choose to, recommended if your oil change is within 250 miles.

*edit* for link

http://www.gpona.com/forums/do-it-yo...eup-t1391.html

Old 12-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Glad to hear you were able to replace it.

If you want you can also buy a can of seafoam to run through the gas tank. I wouldn't use much else besides seafoam though.
I run a bottle of Techron through my fuel system every other month. It's the same stuff rebranded to AC Delco that they sell at the dealership. It's my understanding that it contains additives to lubricate the fuel pump and injectors.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:45 PM

15 Year Member

seafoam helps turn water into a combustable liquid and can help clean the injectors

Old 12-12-2011, 02:00 AM

Should I just start off by adding the seafoam into my gas tank? I've used it before on my thunderbird by adding through a vacum line and gas tank, but I see that you can add through a line on the supercharger too? Will it eventually cycle through everything once I add through the gas tank?

Old 12-12-2011, 06:26 AM

When you run seafoam through a vacuum line it's to help clean carbon from the intake ports and combustion chambers. Putting it in the fuel tank helps to clean the fuel system. Putting it in the oil helps to clean sludge and deposits from the crankcase and internal parts. I've read on another forum where some people give their vehicle a triple shot of seafoam. They put it in the oil and fuel, then run it through the vacuum line after putting a couple hundred miles on the car. Then they change the oil and install new spark plugs.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:32 AM

seafoam helps turn water into a combustable liquid and can help clean the injectors
Techron also has cleaning agents and helps to disapate water, but I use it mainly for its lubricating properties. It also helps to deter damage to the fuel pump amd injectors that the ethanol added to fuel causes...especially during the Winter months when gas stations switch over to their 'Winter blend' that contains a higher amount of ethanol.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:42 AM

15 Year Member

Sounds like good stuff!

Quick Reply: Average MPG in your Monte SS?