Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Auto Dim Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Default Auto Dim Mirror

This is a strange one...I think. I've searched the forum and have asked a few mechanic friends and no one can seem to give me the answer.

Heres my problem. My auto dim mirror has what looks like fluid in the mirror. the top half of the mirror is real fuzzy because of this. It doesn't matter if the auto dim is on or off. Also when you move the mirror from North/South or East/ West the fluid moves with it. Whenever I re-position it in the center the fluid comes back to the top half.

So I guess my question is...anyone else experience this issue, do I need a new Mirror and if so can I replace it or does it need to go to the dealer.

I'll tell you this Monte is really becoming a PITA with all the problems I have had with her, but I'll keep her.

Thanks......

Old 08-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Default RE: Auto Dim Mirror

well the bad news is im not real positive this is the issue But sounds to me like you might have a leak in the sunroof and it is runnign down the stem of the rear veiw and has gotten between the layers int eh glas or is on the edge and your seeing a reflection of it.

As for replacement of it your self yeah they are not to hard to do it. should be a mater of a plug and a screw in there. nothign to fance thats for sur ei had mine off several times for running the mic and such for the Blue tooth adaptor on my stereo.
But i never unpluged it so i dont know for sure where the pulg in is for it.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Auto Dim Mirror

this actually happened to me last month

the fluid you are talking about is called electrochromatic. it's what is used in our mirrors to dim them when other people's lights are hitting the mirror's sensor.

This happens from heat, extreme heat. My monte is black on black, and it happened in a parking lot one day. You will need to replace the mirror. It's about 150$ for the mirror.

Replace it as fast a possible though, because now that there is air in your mirror, the possibility of it exploding increased, and the electrochromatic fluid will ruin your interior.