Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Attempting to fix P/S whine, would appreciate some advice/tips!

Old 05-02-2018, 03:19 PM
Default Attempting to fix P/S whine, would appreciate some advice/tips!

So when I first got my Monte the power steering pump was on the way out, it made a constant whine and sometimes the steering would become very stiff. I spoke with the service tech at the dealership and he told me I'd be better off just replacing it with one from Autozone for 1/6th of the price, because he said they're notorious for it and there's a good chance the Delco one would whine too. Well lo and behold, the new one whined and has continued to whine throughout the past few years. But it's starting to drive me mad and I'm going to be doing a bunch of other work soon so I decided I'd give it one last big effort to fix it, or at least quiet it down some. What I'd planned to do is drain all of the fluid from the reservoir first, then refill it with a mix of Lucas synthetic P/S fluid and Lucas P/S stop leak. I've heard a lot of good things about the stop leak helping others with whining, and I figured I'd get the expensive fluid just to throw everything I had at the problem. After that I'm going to bleed the pump using the new mityvac adapter I just picked up, put the front up on jack stands and give it a few good lock-to-lock turns. Anyone got any critiques on my plan or anything they think I should add to it? Because if this doesn't fix it I'm going to be so disappointed. I take really good care of my car, but the whine makes it sound like I'm driving around a beater. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-02-2018, 08:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

First what engine are you running?

Second, before doing anything, have you confirmed you don't have a leak or air getting into the system?

Third, I tend to shy away from "stop leak" products. Most of the time, they have elements that can cause problems elsewhere. Remember to stop a leak, it has to do something to plug the leak.

If this is a 3800 or 3400, my experience has been that most of the time, the factory original pump goes a LONG way (well beyond 100K miles). Years ago on my Camaro, I had issues with a fluid leak, I began using a Synthetic PS fluid from Valvoline (it did not advertise any stop leak). I used it because usually a synthetic had better bonding properties. Admittedly, it seemed to. The PS system would be very low on fluid and did not mis-behave.
That being said, if you want to flush the PS system, not a bad idea, purge old/worn. I don't typically flush the fluid, but I have been known to use a turkey baster from the dollar store, get as much old fluid out of the reservoir as possible and then top off with fresh fluid. And you can try a synthetic fluid, but I would shy away from "stop leak" gimmicks.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
First what engine are you running?

Second, before doing anything, have you confirmed you don't have a leak or air getting into the system?

Third, I tend to shy away from "stop leak" products. Most of the time, they have elements that can cause problems elsewhere. Remember to stop a leak, it has to do something to plug the leak.

If this is a 3800 or 3400, my experience has been that most of the time, the factory original pump goes a LONG way (well beyond 100K miles). Years ago on my Camaro, I had issues with a fluid leak, I began using a Synthetic PS fluid from Valvoline (it did not advertise any stop leak). I used it because usually a synthetic had better bonding properties. Admittedly, it seemed to. The PS system would be very low on fluid and did not mis-behave.
That being said, if you want to flush the PS system, not a bad idea, purge old/worn. I don't typically flush the fluid, but I have been known to use a turkey baster from the dollar store, get as much old fluid out of the reservoir as possible and then top off with fresh fluid. And you can try a synthetic fluid, but I would shy away from "stop leak" gimmicks.
Sorry, I guess I should’ve included a bit more info. But it’s a 3800. But no I haven’t checked to see if there’s air getting into the system, I’m not really sure how I would I guess. The only way I can think air would be getting into the system would be a worn or cracked hose, but I don’t have any leaks and I would figure if I had a junk hose I would have one. But it’s been almost 3 years since the pump was replaced and I’ve never once noticed a drop in fluid levels. I’ve never had to add any fluid to it at all. And in regards to the stop leak, again I should’ve been more clear. I also tend to stay well away from any “stop leak” products, because in my opinion even if they do work as advertised, they’re only putting a band-aid on a much more serious issue. The reason is planned to use it was because it also claims to help with the whining/groaning issue, which I’m also skeptical of. But I’ve ran across quite a few YouTube videos and forum posts from people who claim it has significantly reduced or eliminated their noise problems. So considering it costs like $6 bucks I figured I’d give it a whirl before I resort to buying a whole new OEM pump and dealing with the headache of replacing it. But considering you’ve also used a synthetic power steering fluid before I have a follow up question for you. I’d planned to just use my mityvac to suck out all the fluid I could from the reservoir, but there’s bound to be some in the system that I can’t get. Do you think I’ll have any issues with adding a synthetic to the small amount of conventional fluid still in the system?

Old 05-03-2018, 07:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile

In the past if I had a power steering pump that had a whine it was because a Seal was going bad.
Make sure you don't operate the steering when the pump is dry, or if the car is not running.
Some times the seal will go out if the engine is off and you try to steer the thing, like pushing it out of the road or into the drive way.
In the event you get a new one out of the box and it has that whine take it back and get a new one.
Ask the parts place before you leave if they take returns.
I am attaching some information that came directly from my GM service manual.
Tells how to drain the system also how to flush it, and the whine issue. this is from a 1999 manual and I think the service is the same here. Hope this helps.

Just a little tip....... it is much easier to follow what the problem is if you break down things in paragraphs, not an English teacher by now means but it just helps to follow. Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1090.JPG (2.52 MB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_1091.JPG (2.00 MB, 10 views)
Old 05-03-2018, 10:00 AM

You may have air in the system. I would try bleeding it first. In the fsm for my Cadillac I seem to remember it saying to pull a vacuum on the reservoir for so many minutes to bleed it after having changed a line, or pump, etc. The monte cant be much different. You can do that with the mityvac. I'm not sure how much vacuum and for how long though.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:17 PM

Thanks so much for those pictures and the advice, that information is definitely super helpful to have.
I'd considered trying to bleed it before, but I was told by a few people including the head service tech that even if the pump wasn't bled properly when it was installed that it should've worked all the air out of the system by now. Whether or not that's true I don't know. But either way I have the attachment for my Mityvac now so I'll have a chance to personally ensure it's bled properly. I'm gonna look in the AllDataDIY database and see if it gives exact details on the bleeding procedure before I start it though!

Old 05-03-2018, 07:45 PM

10 Year Member

My experience with bleeding the PS system involves turning the wheel as far as you can to the left and then to the right and repeat a couple of times. The air ends up in the reservoir. The 3800 SII has the PS pump and reservoir in a crappy spot. But if you check the fluid after making a few bleed turns and it looks foamy, possibly milky in color, it can be a result of the air in the fluid.

As for mixing conventional with synthetic, my limited experience, zero issues. Should be fine.

By no stretch is this a "fix", but possibly an assist. You may still end up needing to replace the pump at some point. All a bit of a gamble.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:59 PM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A8Q4ADS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A8Q4ADS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is the adapter I bought for bleeding it, I've never had to bleed a p/s pump before but I was told this is the proper way to do it. Unless I mistook your comment and you were recommending to turn the wheels WHILE bleeding it with the pump as well.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:58 PM

10 Year Member

Attached are the GM shop manual data for flushing and bleeding the PS system.

I have never used a tool to bleed a PS system. The shop manual says to raise that car, I never did that (but then again, I also bled it with the engine running, which would cause the "airation" which causes the fluid to look a little foamy).

You should not need a tool to bleed the PS system, as all you are doing is trying to force the air in the system into the reservoir, at that point, no issue.

Attached Files
Old 05-05-2018, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Attached are the GM shop manual data for flushing and bleeding the PS system.

I have never used a tool to bleed a PS system. The shop manual says to raise that car, I never did that (but then again, I also bled it with the engine running, which would cause the "airation" which causes the fluid to look a little foamy).

You should not need a tool to bleed the PS system, as all you are doing is trying to force the air in the system into the reservoir, at that point, no issue.
Well while it is certainly possible to bleed the system to an acceptable level without any tools, GM’s bleeding instructions are centered around using the attachment I mentioned and a Mityvac. The instructions are very lengthy, but more or less you hold system at the specific vacuum for 5 minutes, and then I believe you do 5 full lock to lock turns with the wheels elevated, check fluid levels and add some if needed, and repeat however many times. Which will also help me discover if I do have any potential leaks because I’ll be able to see a loss on vacuum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Attempting to fix P/S whine, would appreciate some advice/tips!