Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Anyone know how to remove 2004 Monte Carlo Blower Motor Resister?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 12:31 AM
Default Anyone know how to remove 2004 Monte Carlo Blower Motor Resister?

The resistor is held up by two rivets or plastic tabs that seem virtually impossible to remove. No tool seems to be adequate. Has anyone removed and replaced this before? Any suggestions?

Old 04-12-2018, 04:48 AM

I haven't taken one of these styles out before but appears that you will have to either drill out the plastic rivets or break them out. Picture also looks like there was 2 screws that held it in place. Good luck

Old 04-12-2018, 06:47 AM

That’s right. There was one “normal” screw holding it in. It appears any other ones may have been taken out or lost by the previous owner. However, when I attempted to remove it yester it was just 1 normal screw and those two plastic guys.

not sure which forum it was, but someone also suggested breaking those two plastic guys out. Looks like that may be on only option.

thanks for reaching back

Old 04-15-2018, 05:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I have not replaced my resistor, but I dealt with this when I changed my evaporator core. You have to drill/chisel/break the heat stacks. Then during re-assembly, get your own replacement screws (I was so angry about that).

I regret that while I had the HVAC module out of the car, I should have liberated the resistor and added screws to make life easier in the future.

Attached is the shop manual data on the topic.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MC-Blower Motor Resistor.pdf (478.5 KB, 6 views)