Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

anti lock light on... some noise from brake

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Default anti lock light on... some noise from brake

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. Just got a 1998 monte with the 3.1L engine.There are several issues with this car at the moment. First and biggest problem is that there's a light on for anti lock brake. I can hear that during low speed braking, there's a tapping sound from the front brakes (I assume it is the brakes since it happens only when I brake). So the question is what turns on that idiot light? It's kind of cold here in Ohio so I don't feel like tearing into the car yet, without at least having an idea on what I'm looking for.

Thanks all for the help!

Yiran

Old 11-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Default RE: anti lock light on... some noise from brake

[align=center]Hi Yiran, & Welcome to the MCF[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Below is just a suggestion of what it could be, it's difficult to[/align][align=center]determine the problems by just the written word, and[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]not be there to evaluate.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]First check your brake fluid level on a flat surface.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]How much wear is on your brake pads ? Miles on pad's ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]What shape are your rotor's in ?

It is likely that the problem is actually a sensor that has gone bad. This is a common problem for Chevy. But the light is a safety light, so it would be most beneficial for you to take the car in; in the event you have to slam on your brakes, they could possibly fail. Takeit to a trusted auto-repair shop,oryour dealer.. They know what sensors normally go bad on their cars, so they can have a quick fix that will save you time and money. It will cost about $60 to have it looked at, and if it IS the sensors, it will cost you around $150-$200 to have it repaired. Your brakes are most likely safe to drive with, and you probably won't damage them. The problem is that starting in '92, Anti-Lock Brakes are controled electronically, so if there is a problem with the sensor, your ABS might fail when you need them the most. I'd almost say you could change the sensors yourself if you can get under there with a ratchet. It would be worth it, if it fixes the problem. Try calling your dealer and telling them what's going on. They might know right off hand that the sensors are the problem.
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Be Patience, and I'm sure some of our expert member's will reply[/align][align=center]with their thougths on your problem.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Good Luck[/align]

[/align][/align][align=center][/align]

Old 11-22-2007, 03:58 PM

ABS warnings!
My ABS light comes on. What should I do?
When you start your vehicle an ABS indicator light will illuminate on the instrument panel for a few seconds. This is normal.

My ABS light stays on. What should I do?
This means the ABS is not working. However, the conventional braking system is working. We recommend that you take your vehicle to your nearest dealer for servicing as soon as possible.

My ABS light and my brake warning light both stay on. What should I do?
DO NOT DRIVE THIS VEHICLE! You have no brakes. Have it towed to your nearest dealer.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:32 PM

Thanks spaceracer. I thought it might be a sensor. What I will do is:
1. check my brake fluid level
2. check brake pad wear and the relevant things around the hub.
This is not my main driving vehicle so I'll take my time and check everything. The other thing is the rear brake sounds pretty bad. I don't know if I have a drum or disc in the back (I HATE taking drums off!!). But hopefully it's something innocuous...

Yiran