Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Info: Antenna Module GM# 10399641

Old 03-26-2017, 10:12 PM
Question Antenna Module GM# 10399641

I need some Tech info. The-Maniac if you can help, please give advice. Anyone with good knowledge on this Antenna Module please give advice. This is for a 2004 Chevy Impala. This Module GM# 10399641 has a component to it that sticks to the back glass window of the car. The window has the integrated antenna and defogger in it. I need to know how to remove that component from the glass. I need to know how to prepare the glass for the new part and any tips on how to attach the new part. I am assuming the new part has a film on it with sticky to attach the new contacts to the glass. The contacts are inside a little plastic box. I need advice on how to open or get that box off the glass. Please if anyone has done this we need advice and any tips. Thanks in advance to anyone who can give us valuable information.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:46 AM

I am a little lost? Do you have a replacement part your looking to install? Or you just trying to understand how to connect it to your cars rear window?

There should be 2 places on the window of the Drivers side. one the Lower on on the window is for the Defroster. The higher one is for the Ant connection. Then on the passenger side there is only 1 and that is for Ground for the Defroster.

So the box should already be there in your car! When you remove your Window you take off the Female Spade off the 3 point on the back window. When the right Window is installed back in the car. These 3 Female spade connecters just push back onto the right spots and all is back and working like nothing changed.

If that isn't the problem. I guess I need more info about what your trying to do.

James

Old 03-27-2017, 12:30 PM

We are not taking the back window out of the car. We are just replacing the antenna module GM part 10399641. The car is already apart, with the pillar trim taken off. We had to see which part we had because there were 2 different modules they used. I see how the part hooks up, there are 3 connections. We do not have the new part yet. I just ordered it. The thing we need to know is how to get that little plastic box off the glass. We do not want to mess up the grid on the window taking it off. What is the best way to get that box and the connections it has in it off the window. What prep does the window need before you put the new one on. I do not have the new part here yet to look at. How does the new part stick on? I assume there are 3 little contact spots you have to match up to the window. That little plastic box has 3 wires coming out of it. I looked at the GM patent info on those type of modules. It sounds like there might be some piece of plastic film on the contacts that are sticky that you peel off and stick it on the window. So does that little plastic box open up? What is the best way to get it off? Is there a clip you release on it? Do you apply a little warmth to it and peel it off. The rest of replacing that module is obvious. We do not want to mess up the grid on the window. So we need to know the best way to get that little plastic box off the window. My husband was a body man, but this is one thing he or I have never seen done. I can not find any GM videos on the internet to R & R that antenna module. I found some info on BMW, those cars have modules stuck on the back window grid. Their info says to warm it up a little to get it to come off the glass. This info plus what I saw in forums helped us pin point our problem. None of the info gave detailed R & R instructions and that is what we need.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:29 PM

Now I am really confused. Only thing that is connected to the back windows is OnStar Antenna. The Radio Box for the Antenna is in side the back trim of the window. It is used as part of the Rear Defrost and sits in the back trim.

If there is something more connected to the back window that has a ANT on it on the outside that is for Onstar. Most times that is a non replacement part meant to be there for life of of Window. Need new window then it gets replaced after new Glass install. If you are trying to replace that I can't tell you how to do it without damage to the grid seeing they were nice enough to place then on the Grid. I have used a Heat Gun to get other things off like this that was used for my CELL phone back in the day when people had Ext Antennas for Car Phones. They were built almost the same as the one from factory for Onstar. It took some time and Heat gun.

Maybe take a picture of what your working with. Like I said only one I know that is connected to the window by placement is for Onstar.

Sorry i couldn't be more helpful
James

Old 03-27-2017, 04:14 PM

10399641_Primary.jpg

10399641_Alternate1.jpg

I hope this works because I am not sure how to upload photos to this forum. Here are 2 views of this module. Part of it mounts to the metal rear driver pillar under the trim. There is a plug that goes to the coax that leads to radio. There is a plug with 2 prongs that goes into the wiring harness. There is a connector that plugs to the tab on the window for the defogger. The little plastic box I have circled attaches to the rear window on driver side. It attaches above the tab for the defogger. It attaches at the side of the window toward the top. It sticks to the grid in the window. It has 3 connectors in it that make contact with the antenna grid. They stick on with some type of adhesive that can conduct. This makes up the antenna system. We need advice how to get that little box off the window without messing up the grid. How to prep the area to install the new one. Has anyone taken this off or R&R'ed one of the modules? We need the tips or techniques to get this little box off properly and how to prep the area to attach new one. Thanks if you can help.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:38 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If that is the module that handles the splitting of the radio (FM/AM) signal and rear defroster, I have never actually had to replace that module (thought I had to come close to it).
From my memory of ripping apart a couple cars in the junk yard, the black box is taped with a good strength double stick tape behind the passenger side rear trim molding. It has a wire that leads to the metal tab on the rear glass. You should be able to slide the wire off the tab. Might need to wiggle it as you pull on it. But to my knowledge, nothing is glued/stuck to the glass for this.

I have seen cell phone or some other mobile communication antennas that do stick to the glass (on the outside has about a 6 inch antenna mast and it's adjustable). That does have a box stuck to the glass. I never changed one, but a friend of mine and I tried to recover one for his Cadillac and no go, we broke the black box because the double stick tape had a death grip. You might be able to use a strong fine wire to "saw" through the tape (and it would avoid damage to the grid lines in the glass for the defroster if you bumped the glass).

Any way you can get pics from your car of what you are looking at?

Old 03-27-2017, 06:09 PM

That sounds like someone messed up on a install. I have had my Trim off and mine wasn't connected to the window. I did look up how to replace it and on Just answer there is a picture that shows how it should be setup in the car.

If it was installed by some one that used some DS Tape I guess you could use a Heat knife or maybe a Heat gun would still work. I would need to see pictures of your BOX in your car to know what is going on. Sounds like someone did a repair and didn't take things apart right and used DS tape.

Love to hear how your install works out for you

Search this Thread