Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

6th Gen ('00-'05): Ambient light sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 08:00 PM
Default Ambient light sensor

I need to replace the ambient light sensor under the dashboard on my 2003 Monte Carlo SS. I'm nervous about removing the entire dash because the last time I did that to install my new radio, it cracked a bit and a few of the clips snapped off. I'm wondering if I have to take the entire dashboard apart again or if there is a way to remove only the panel up by the vents right under the windshield? I'd rather not pull the whole dash apart again to avoid damaging it further. Also, if anyone has replaced this sensor before, any tips would be appreciated.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:09 PM

The easiest way is to take a screwdriver and carefully pop up the vents. I had a friend hold the vent up with the screwdriver while I replaced the sensor. I think it took a total of 5 minutes. All you have to do to get the sensor out is twist it.

Here's a video to help you along, it's not the best quality but it'll give you an idea of how easy it is.

I'm guessing your "Service Vehicle Soon" light is also on, which this will take care of.

Last edited by Dj_bosse; 06-05-2017 at 09:25 PM.