Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Am I being jipped?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 10:38 AM
1 Year Member

Well... about that.... my bf is definitely not mechanically inclined, I know more about cars than he does by far but, he decided he was going to change my oil for me to be nice (he always changes his own oil, he had a 2006 Ford Focus hatch back and now a 2013 Cruze) and before he changed my oil my car never leaked oil... after he changed it, I had to add a quart of oil about every 6 weeks because it was leaking... that's the spot in the pic I posted of the bigger leak after I moved my car. Every day there would be a spot about that big maybe a little bigger.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:48 AM
1 Year Member

He's been using this same mechanic since he got his first car 20yrs ago but, knowing that my bf knows almost nothing about cars, that mechanic could tell him anything and he would believe it because he doesn't know any better. Luckily neither of us have had many major problems with our cars because we do keep up the regular maintenance, changing the oil and checking the fluids. I was just very skeptical because when I pulled my car in the garage before I noticed the puddle it whined pretty good when I turned the wheel, it had never done that before and, when I checked the coolant, the overflow tank was at the level it was supposed to be but, when I checked the power steering fluid, the dip stick didn't even register any liquid. I could see that it was wet, but there wasn't a significant amount and it didn't coat the dipstick like it should if there was fluid in there. So with the whining noise when I turned the wheel, the fact that the dipstick wasn't registering, the overflow coolant being where it should be and me not having any sort of leaks or overheating or warning signs that the coolant system was bad, I thought it was probably a power steering hose or the pump. When he told me that the coolant was just pouring out of the water pump I was also a little suspicious because I had poured water into the overflow tank and then started my car and nothing else leaked from anywhere but when I just slightly turned the wheel it whined. I also thought that if it was the coolant system, my warning light on the dash would come on when I started my car after I added the water to it but it didn't, no lights came on except my "change oil" and "low washer fluid" lights....

Old 06-20-2015, 11:23 AM
1 Year Member

And yes, he said he topped off the power steering fluid. I didn't notice any new spots this morning when I left so hopefully it'll stay that way

Old 06-20-2015, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fawn2793
it broke then suggested it had to have already been loose it just solidified my suspicions because I KNOW the engine wasn't loose"..."When I picked it up last night I got on the interstate and got on it a little getting it up to 90 because before it would vibrate a little when I would get up to 80+ so I wanted to see if it still did that.... it didn't. ...
Sounds to me like the engine WAS loose prior to you bringing it to this honest mechanic...

Old 06-20-2015, 04:20 PM

Glad you got everything going right and new

Old 06-22-2015, 11:26 AM
1 Year Member

Well the vibration actually came back... I called him up and told him it was still vibrating when I was driving on the interstate and he told me to bring it back in. After about 20 minutes he came back and said the tires were out of balance so he balanced them and now, all is good. I actually just bought a brand new set of tires from Discount tire about 3 months ago and although I can't remember exactly how soon after but, that's when the vibration started. Could the engine mount being broken cause the tires to go out of balance?

Anyway, I felt really bad for being so... "bitchy" (I'm sure that word was used to describe me... I don't blame him if he did lol) when I called and spoke to his assistant and they weren't there when I picked it up Friday so, this morning I called and thanked him and apologized for being rude to his assistant. He was grateful and appreciated me apologizing and said he would definitely pass it on to his guy.

Unfortunately, there are dishonest mechanics out there and they give all the good guys a bad rap and, me being a woman.... I just didn't want to be taken advantage of again. Midas got me good a few years ago when I needed brake pads on my 2001 Cougar... ended up paying almost $700 that time too, they said they changed the rotors and flushed the brake line but, the same old rotors that were on the car when I bought it were still on there!. I feel A LOT better about the whole thing and even told him I would be calling him soon because the brakes need done... his first words after I said that was "ok, no problem and I'm not going to jack up the price for unnecessary services like Midas is notorious for"... I hadn't even told him about my experience there. He said it would be between $200-$300 per axel because the rotors usually need changed as well. I'll have to put that off a few more weeks so I can recover from THIS unexpected expense though.

Thanks to everyone for replying and helping me out!!

Old 06-23-2015, 11:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Fawn2793
Well the vibration actually came back... I called him up and told him it was still vibrating when I was driving on the interstate and he told me to bring it back in. After about 20 minutes he came back and said the tires were out of balance so he balanced them and now, all is good. I actually just bought a brand new set of tires from Discount tire about 3 months ago and although I can't remember exactly how soon after but, that's when the vibration started. Could the engine mount being broken cause the tires to go out of balance?

Anyway, I felt really bad for being so... "bitchy" (I'm sure that word was used to describe me... I don't blame him if he did lol) when I called and spoke to his assistant and they weren't there when I picked it up Friday so, this morning I called and thanked him and apologized for being rude to his assistant. He was grateful and appreciated me apologizing and said he would definitely pass it on to his guy.

Unfortunately, there are dishonest mechanics out there and they give all the good guys a bad rap and, me being a woman.... I just didn't want to be taken advantage of again. Midas got me good a few years ago when I needed brake pads on my 2001 Cougar... ended up paying almost $700 that time too, they said they changed the rotors and flushed the brake line but, the same old rotors that were on the car when I bought it were still on there!. I feel A LOT better about the whole thing and even told him I would be calling him soon because the brakes need done... his first words after I said that was "ok, no problem and I'm not going to jack up the price for unnecessary services like Midas is notorious for"... I hadn't even told him about my experience there. He said it would be between $200-$300 per axel because the rotors usually need changed as well. I'll have to put that off a few more weeks so I can recover from THIS unexpected expense though.

Thanks to everyone for replying and helping me out!!

Glad you mad it thru your frustrating ordeal, you usually won't be able to tell a motor is broken or loose unless driving on bumpy roads! ( motor movement, noise)on a smooth road you would never know, big props for owning up to your mistake and always stay away form Midas. I went to have my brakes checked back when I had my explorer and they told me 900.00 for rotors and ceramic pads, I laughed in their face and left got same job done with same parts for 300 and never had a problem. I just used them to diagnose my vehicles but owner caught on and mechanic told me I couldn't use them anymore cause never got any work done lol, I told him do you blame me? he laughed and understood fully.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:52 PM
1 Year Member

I'm glad it's over too! And.... I came to another realization last night that made me feel like an even bigger jerk and SUPER glad that I called and apologized! I pulled my car in the garage again last night, normally I just pull it straight in and don't have to turn the wheel but, the night I found the puddle, and last night I had to turn the wheel slightly to maneuver around a bicycle that was left in my way.... and when I turned the wheel on the slick garage floor... my TIRES made a very loud screeching noise!!! What a light bulb moment huh! I'm just glad I was unsure enough to have it towed to the garage instead of being Miss Know-it-all and driving it thinking it was just the power steering pump and winding up with a cracked block or blown head gaskets and STILL be without a car! If I'm a big enough girl to stand my ground and be a little pushy... I'm a big enough girl to admit when I'm wrong and sincerely apologize for it... glad it doesn't happen all that often though

Old 06-26-2015, 05:41 PM

You are lucky to have found an honest mechanic! I am new here. I am a widow and the guy who worked on the vehicles of both my late husband and myself for over 25 years got cancer and closed his business.

Since then I have tried two other places. One guy was okay, but he did not have a shop of his own - he replaced my ignition cylinder in my driveway as a "side job" from his regular job. Which was actually really good because otherwise I would have had to have it towed.

Second place I went to when I needed to have state inspection. That guy raked me over the coals, I later learned. And he seemed so nice........

I am now in process to find someone honest to fix whatever is currently making a loud clicking noise in my left front wheel.

Donna A

Old 07-04-2015, 12:13 AM

Fawn, finding a good and honest mechanic can be tough, but this guy sounds ok,stick with him and the return business will build a relationship of trust! also ask him if he will give you a discount if you pay cash, mine does on labor as they don't have to report the income or pay credit card fees etc!