Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

Airflow Sensors gain 20 HP +

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Default RE: AfterMarket Airflow Sensors gain 20 HP

they have one listed for our cars. to include the 3.4

the only thing i would want to know is what the gain is?

Old 01-28-2007, 10:42 PM

change the air tube that is between th m.a.f. and the intake.
instead of the ribed rubber one change it to an aluimin one
the ribs slow down the air.

the smoother the surface the more air that will go into it.
Take a look at the intake manifold between the 3.8 and the 3.9
That is where they have made some extra hp at

Old 01-29-2007, 02:20 AM

that cardomain site you were asking about is mine. i just polished the inside of my MAF. i know for a fact that many cars react badly when you remove the honeycomb screen from the factory sensor. on my car it would set an engine light if i went full throtle. and with the new sensor, it reacts differently then the stock until... your car's computer is programed with a table of the stock values for the original unit.

on my engine, the MAF was not a restriction in the air flow, the throtle body was. so changing that sensor out wouldnt have given me any gains. on my 98 GTP im working on, they put a MAF in side the TB. and have a chunk of metal blocking the airflow in the TB. switching to a diff type of MAF for the GTP will make a big diff because i can open up the TB's diameter greatly

lastly if you have access to a programer like the DHP powertuner, you can retune the factory MAF tables to make the stock unit more effecint. you use data scans from driving around to help calculate the corrections needed. these programers cost about $400 very good investement vs $350 for just a sensor that you may or may not see any improvement from. not only does this programer let you recalibrate your MAF tables, you can add spark timing to get more power, better gas milage, and pretty much alter anything in the computer.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:49 AM

ORIGINAL: z34phoenix

that cardomain site you were asking about is mine.
yeah i knew it was your site just could not for the life of me remeber your member name here.
heck i even knew what your car looked like in my head but not your name . LOL

you hadent been posting for a while so i could not find any of your postings near the top and didnt have time to run threw all of them but actually had started that also.

you have tons of info on your car domain site. need to make it add ya as a frend in mine so i can find it agian LO L
As matter of fact i think it was your site that told me about the seat mods i did. (love those on trips)
can you put a link in here for your site? Thanks

Old 01-29-2007, 04:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Mrrench

change the air tube that is between th m.a.f. and the intake.
instead of the ribed rubber one change it to an aluimin one
the ribs slow down the air.

the smoother the surface the more air that will go into it.
Take a look at the intake manifold between the 3.8 and the 3.9
That is where they have made some extra hp at
makes me wonder if you can get the onefrom the 3.9 and put it on the 3.8?
I havent seen a 3.9 so i havent looked at them there is not one supercharged monte over here that i know of. So i havent even seen one of those up close.
Some day LOL

Old 01-29-2007, 05:02 PM

Mickey

I will have to get a picture of the intake for you. Im pretty sure it will not bolt up to a 3.8

The best way to say what it looks like is, picture a car ramp
one bank curves to the left, the other curves to the right.

it looks like it moves the air pretty smoothly.

base hp for a 3.8 200
base hp for a 3.9 242 and this is without a supercharger on it.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:09 AM

the 3.9 is a 60* V engine the 3800 is a 90*V engine block angels are completely diff so intakemanifolds deff wont swap. the 3.9 also uses variable intake runer lenght to tune for specific RPM and load. and i think has a form of variable timing too. very advanced engine. thats where it makes the power. the 3800 non SC has a very mild cam thats whats holding that motor back.... it has a very large displacement for a v6

here is my cardomain: www.cardomain.com/id/z34phoenix that will bring up all three of my cars.the monte is the one with all the goodies as for information. the GTP is my work in progress/toy

Old 02-04-2007, 09:57 AM

ok so if th e3800 has s crap cam in it.
what are out there that you have found to help this issue out?
i would love to ge tmore info on the internals on this thing, the pushrods helped it breath a bit but would love to get more out of it. you can tell it has more to it.
I know it will do the speedo and still has more to it. in the 6th gen the speedo is not a issue to do.
bu after you get to a certin point it defenly lacks enough power to get there quicker then it dose. kind of lags a bit but dose the job just takes more then a 1/4 mile to get it there LOL

Old 02-05-2007, 06:47 AM

go to ZZperformance.com they have all you need to make a killer 3800

Old 02-27-2007, 12:06 AM

I haven't gotten down and dirty with my 3.9 yet (weather) but it's coming, and soon. I'm already putting together orders and links to get a K&N filter (no intakes for my car yet [&o]) And wiring for a subwoofer. When I get a chance to do some detailing and put in the filter I'll get the camera ready. I'll also go to a local place with a lift and get some pics of the exhaust setup so you can see why it sounds so darn good. (If you've seen theUTube 3.9 videos you know what I'm talking about)

Quick Reply: Airflow Sensors gain 20 HP +