Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

ABS wires cut?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default ABS wires cut?

2001 Monte Carlo SS 3.8L

So we were doing a ball joint job and I noticed in the back of the rotor/hub there are two wires hanging out (from the hub) that are clearly cut. My ABS light is on where do these things go? I know one end is in the hub correct? Where does the other end go to? I can't see any other wires coming down the axle from the engine or anywhere else that this wire could have connected. Just two cut wires that are black behind the rotor/hub.

Does anyone have a nice diagram on how these ABS sensors hook in? I can't see where the damn thing was cut from? I would think the rest of the wire would be there but its not. Does it just reside all in the hub?

Thanks guys.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

the wheel hubs have a short pig tail wire come out with a connector. That connector joins to a wiring harness that I believe leads back to the PCM. I'm not sure there is any good diagram. You might be best looking around OR find another Monte to compare with. This could definitely explain the ABS light.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:02 AM
5 Year Member

I can find plenty of diagrams of the hub assembly but I can't find anything that shows me where the other end of the cable runs to?

So I'm assuming this wiring harness back to the PCM would run along the half shaft? Actually where is the PCM located at? LOL Maybe I can trace it from that point.

Thanks again.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:08 AM
5 Year Member

Oops n/m found location of it its near the air cleaner it says. I'll check that out and see if I can trace the wires down to the hub from there.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:31 AM

10 Year Member

The wires on the fronts typically run along the lower control arm (there should be little clips to hold a wire loom that houses the wires). ABS wires are also "twisted" together by design.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
The wires on the fronts typically run along the lower control arm (there should be little clips to hold a wire loom that houses the wires). ABS wires are also "twisted" together by design.
OK thanks man. We will be swapping out the lower control arm this weekend I'll see if I can tell where the wire is. We broke the control arm bolt holes that the rivets ran through trying to grind out the rivets from the bad ball joint. So I just said the hell with it and bought a lower control arm.

I can feel the wire on the drivers side when I reach around the tire so I think that one is intact. I just can't figure out why somebody would cut an ABS wire? LOL

Also on a side note I noticed the PCM is zip tied in and pretty loose where its sitting? The guy installed a K & N filter on this so I guess he decided to just zip tie the PCM in place? Will that cause any problems if its not "seated" and is allowed to wobble around?

Old 10-08-2013, 09:30 PM

10 Year Member

The K&N HAI is a bit lacking in fit and finish. I would recommend researching a way to better secure the PCM. I have a Wizaird CAI in mine and it uses something like a bungee cord to hold it in a padded location. Chibi is on vacation at the moment, but I believe in a thread about his CSC build, he posted pics/info about getting a PCM tray from a truck (like a Blazer) and mounting that to hold his PCM.

Not the highest thing to worry about, but I'd recommend finding something to better secure it.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member

OK so I have located the end of the ABS wire. Its running down up near front of the engine but here is the real question: Since its cut (or ripped) apart can I simply splice in like speaker wire or something? It looks to be maybe 18 or 20 gauge or 22 gauge? If its still connected into the hub with the connecter and the end is still connected to where ever it goes can I simply "splice" the two back together? If not can I get the wire harness from where it plugs into the wheel hub portion and where does that go to on the vehicle? And also where to get it at?

Old 11-06-2013, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member

Oops I just remembered the wire is cut from the hub so I'd need a new wire harness and a hub but I should be able to splice it back in where it runs from right?

Old 11-06-2013, 11:41 AM

10 Year Member

If you can splice it back together, that's fine. I would HIGHLY recommend you solder the wires and make use of heat shrink tubing (which will help protect it from the elements). If you have to replace the wire, it needs to be the same gauge wire and if it's on the car side of the connector, it must be twisted like the factory did.

If your break is on the "pig tale" coming off the hub (which is sounds like it is), they is not much to work with, but if you can splice it, try it. Otherwise, you need a new wheel hub assembly.

Quick Reply: ABS wires cut?