Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

THE "ABS - Traction Control" Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Default THE "ABS - Traction Control" Problem

[my car is a 2002 MC SS] Hey, I located and read the only two threads I found in this forum on this topic. Both were rather dated and neither really seemed to address my issue. At this point my ABS and T/C light remain on constantly and the "service traction system" warning comes on and 'times out' every time I start up. Just yesterday I was able to pull a C1234 code which is "LR Wheel Speed Ckt Open/Shorted" (there is a separate code for each wheel that could be thrown) so I have to find the 'right' fix for that. Don't know if this is likely the sensor or the wiring. As worded I would think wiring but oh where to start? Is this the problem in my case? Can't tell yet. I did look over the wiring and connection today. Nothing obviously messed up.

As I have been researching this problem, I see that it is very common and have found through a number of sources that this or very similar problems can occur for a number of reasons. [It seems abundantly clear that there is no single answer that works every time.] The ground wire to the ABS control module has been cited. Seems very reasonable, I checked mine, needed cleaning - did that - no help though. I checked and snooped around my wheel sensors and wiring - cleaned various points but no indication of an issue and no help. Someone said their issue seemed to be low brake fluid - lucky them - no help here. Another found they had a faulty brake fluid level sensor - interesting - not sure here but don't think so. There are TSBs that reference issues with the wiring harness ends that connect to the front wheel speed sensors - again no apparent help here. I have not seen any TSB on the rear wiring harness. Some suggest it has something to do with temperature and moisture - no connection with weather here as far as I can see. I switched out my ABS control module electronics and the mechanical assembly - no help. But I did find an odd thing when working the mechanical end. The assembly was virtually dry - as in near zero brake fluid - very odd. Not long ago I went through a process to "replace" the brake fluid throughout using the bleed and feed method - bleeding brake fluid (providing new at the resevoir) until I obtained a clean stream at each caliper. I also thought this might help solve the developing ABS/TC problem. It did not and not long after it progressed to the constant issue it is today. In any case I would have thought that this procedure would have absolutely assured no air in the system anywhere. It seems both laymen and technicians are less than clear about this problem and we often find ourselves throwing time, parts and money at it with no certain understanding of the real issue. Anybody know themselves or someone else who really has this thing "wired" inside and out, so to speak??

Thanks for your time. I hope there are others out there who can provide even more insight and understanding to THE "ABS - T/C" Problem.

Thanks again!

Old 04-11-2009, 04:38 PM

Welcome Member TKG2000, to the Monte Carlo Family Forum.

Great informative post about your problem, and I can read
the frustration in your words.
Please be patience, and I am sure one of our Expert Tech
members will reply, and give their opinions/suggestions
for you prob.
* This is Easter Weekend, and I don't know `if it
will be answered 2day, but check back later
to monitor your post activity for answers.
Good Luck.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:25 PM

Thanks Kid! I look forward to the exchange and the possibilities.

Happy Easter!

Old 04-13-2009, 10:49 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Did you change the whole LR wheel hub assembly?

9 times out of 10, that's the problem. (but mine was the RR)

Old 04-13-2009, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
Did you change the whole LR wheel hub assembly?

9 times out of 10, that's the problem. (but mine was the RR)

"Black,"
No, I have not gone there yet. I was trying to determine if that was the way to go or if I could/should replace just the wiring from the hub back to some point.
Do you know if "circuit" issues would include the hub assembly or if that is/should be separate from the wiring branch that connects to the hub? I'll do whichever, but given the TSBs out there it seems like the wiring may be the issue.

Thanks!
Tim

Old 04-13-2009, 11:15 AM

15 Year Member

I know the hubs are sealed, and there are a lot of sensors in them, the only way to replace them is to unfortunately replace the whole hub assembly.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:31 AM

My similar prob was resolved by replacing the LR hub assembly - which was brolen by someone installing replacement struts

Old 04-15-2009, 03:11 PM

15 Year Member

Did you get around to change it yet?

Old 04-19-2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
Did you get around to change it yet?
"black" - No, not yet. I was hoping you or another would speak to the possibility of the issue being in the wiring vs. the hub which was wrapped up in my first response post. Since there has been none, I guess I need to go ahead and try replacing the hub. Now I just need to find the best source for pickin one up. I have found prices ranging from ~80 to 150. I don't want to pay whatever and I don't want junk either. Any recommendations there?

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2009, 08:02 AM

FWIW - Got mine from a dealer. Orig. GM. Cost about $85.

Quick Reply: THE "ABS - Traction Control" Problem