Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

ABS / Traction control lights on

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 03:12 PM
Default ABS / Traction control lights on

I have an 01 that had this problem with the ABS / Traction control light coming on. I looked at the help section here and said the wheel bearing was bad. so I went and bought both sides (Moog Brand) and installed them both. problem solved right? well it did for about 2 weeks, then the lights will come on for a day or two and the go out and stay out for like 3 weeks. well the lights went out and stayed out until 3 weeks ago and have been on ever since. I went to auto zone and advance, but neither one can test the ABS / Traction control lights. I pulled the tires and checked the connections and they are good. I did an ohms and voltage reading on each one with the wheels off, engine running and transmission in gear. had good readings all the way around. is there a way to fix this with out going to the dealership? thanks

Old 06-21-2014, 06:37 PM

Autozone wouldn't take a code reading for you?
Most if not all DTC scanners should give you your ABS codes.
I had this same issue for sometime my self.
My DTC pointed me to rear drivers bearing.
I had a bad speed sensor, though the bearing it self was fine.
I put up with the light for a number of months before I finally replaced bearing.
My issue was solved.

You said you bought two bearings and did both sides
Did you do front or rear?
If you your fronts then the issue may be at the back
If you did your rear bearings than it could be the opposite.
Find someone who can get the codes and it will tell you which wheel to look at.

If it doesn't point to any wheel bearings than it could be your EBCM which is located just above the air box on drivers side under the hood.

Again, find someone to scan the codes and that at least point you in the right direction

Keep us posted

Old 06-21-2014, 09:14 PM

I replaced the front bearings. never thought about the back. I will take it to another Auto zone and Advance auto and see what they come up with. but yes, the auto zone I went to today said they could not pull up the ABS code. thanks for the help, I will check the back bearings and see if get a reading out of them with the multimeter.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:50 PM

If you do get a code that is related to a specific bearing check the wires and plug as well
It's quite common for the wiring harness on our montes to short out or cause an open circuit even though the wire physically looks fine.
I hope someone can pull the codes for you

There is also a fuse for the abs and EBCM
Check those as well

Good luck. Hope this helps

Old 06-21-2014, 10:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

When my car started having the same issue, it was first related to the wiring having grown brittle and breaking on the passenger side, so I bought two new abs wheel speed sensors and replaced both fronts, which lasted for a short while then the light came back on, so I finally replaced both front wheel bearings as I had the code read and it was the drivers side that was causing the issue, but figured since I was in there I may as well do it right.

Sounds like it is more than likely one of your rear bearings gone, but definitely get the code red.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by ohara
When my car started having the same issue, it was first related to the wiring having grown brittle and breaking on the passenger side, so I bought two new abs wheel speed sensors and replaced both fronts, which lasted for a short while then the light came back on, so I finally replaced both front wheel bearings as I had the code read and it was the drivers side that was causing the issue, but figured since I was in there I may as well do it right.

Sounds like it is more than likely one of your rear bearings gone, but definitely get the code red.
Ohara is right, the wiring harnesses can become quite brittle and break, even though everything "looks" perfectly fine.
Get a voltage reading, ohm out the harness.

In my experience the abs sensors and wheel bearing/hub assembly are all one sealed unit. How were you able to replace just the Abs sensors alone with out replacing the whole hub assembly?

I think there is a vehicle speed sensor on passenger side that can be replaced separately but that's not part of the bearing assembly

Old 06-23-2014, 07:40 AM

if after you check the rear and find nothing...check the ground wires under the hood. i had a wire that was on the front of my engine come lose, not knowing...and for about a year my lights never would go off even tho everything was brand new, and the mechanics scanner kept saying my pump was bad. i found the wire lose when we changed my engine...hooked it up and viola! no more lights....all that trouble over a tiny wire lol