Monte Carlo Repair Help Have a Monte problem and need help? Good at troubleshooting? Discuss it here!

ABS and Recall Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:25 PM
1 Year Member
Exclamation ABS and Recall Question

Ive had my 03 monte carlo for about 2 years now, and it has been 2 years of non-stop repairs. Ive done nearly all the work (excluding work that involves specail shop tools,) and with no end in sight. I changed my left front wheel bearing last year because it went bad somehow (the sensor for the wheel speed sensor shorted out) so i replaced it. Shortly after the electrical wiring harness that goes from the abs control center (no idea what the technical name is ) to the wheel abs sensor went bad, so i replaced that.

Its been good for about a year after that but just recently the right side abs is going nuts. It does this when i take tight turns (such as turning from a stop sign onto a highway) or when i go through puddles. Also when im driving straight it sometimes turns on while im accellorating!! I have a abs checker that gives me a read out of what area is affected on my vehicle, it says the right front side is bad now, and i have 4 codes which i will post later... I know its not the brake fluid because i check my fluids constantly. It has to be electrical or mechanical so it could be one of 3 things: The wire harness is crap(no surprise gm makes it so poorly), the wheel bearing is bad (im getting track off and ABS light at the same time and the bearing makes no noise, so its unlikely) or its the sensor on the bearing (most likely.) Ive used eletrical sealant when i replaced my left front side on ALL of the abs sensors at the bearing connection site (prevents water from entering AND promotes continuity from sensor to wire.)

I'm wondering is anyone has experienced similar problems with their 03 monte carlo with constant ABS problems and what can be done to prevent future incidents from occuring. Also I had to bring in my car last year because my steering rack locked up, litteraly. I was turning into a MC d's and my steering wheel locked up at the center mark, so i could only go straight and turn right. I guess one of the teeth in the column somehow broke and cause it to seeze (werid because my car has less than 60k miles on it) Is there a recall that still in effect ? Can I get my money back for the repair? Any suggestions on the ABS and RECALL would be appreciated!!!